Application Questions-Citizenship

sammy11480

Hi Everyone

I'm not eligible to apply for citizenship until January 2024 and so can't get very far on the application form to see the answers to my questions. I would like to get prepared so hope you can help.

I have dependent children who I will also be applying for citizenship for. Currently, their UK passports are expired. It may be a silly question but would anyone know if my children's passports need to be up to date, or will my current valid passport be sufficient on the application (they are 6 and 8 years old). I am just double checking before getting them renewed as other than for this reason, we have no current plans to travel. 

Also, regarding proving evidence of identity in the community. Would a doctor that we have seen for a few years be able to validate photographs as a correct likeness? Is this pretty standard if I contact my doctors? Would they charge a fee do you think?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sam

Hi Sammy,

My wife applied a while ago and I took care of her paperwork, figuratively speaking, with it all being on line these days.

I maybe incorrect on this one, but I don't think there was a requirement for the passports to be in date when we applied. You just need to provide all the details and scans of the documents. It certainly wouldn't be worth the expense of renewing your kids' UK passports if you have no travel plans for the foreseeable future, although bear in mind that citizenship application process from start to finish can take a year or longer in some cases. Personally, I'd just wait until January so you can proceed further with the application and see what's required.

There are a whole list of people who can can validate the photos as a true likeness. I'm a teacher and I can do it, although I couldn't do it for my wife's application so our neighbour did it and she's a nurse. A doctor can do it but I'm pretty sure it would involve a fee, unless you'd already booked an appointment for another purpose. If you live close to a decent-size shopping centre then there will likely be JPs in there a couple of times a week who can take care of it for free.

Hope this helps, and have a great Christmas 🎄

• Like 1

A JP wouldn’t do it as they have to say they have known you for at least 12 months. This doesn’t have to be a close buddy but someone who has known you even in a professional capacity who is on the list. We used a friend who is a Physio but our neighbour could have done it as he is a solicitor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

A JP wouldn’t do it as they have to say they have known you for at least 12 months. This doesn’t have to be a close buddy but someone who has known you even in a professional capacity who is on the list. We used a friend who is a Physio but our neighbour could have done it as he is a solicitor. 

Yes, you're right - I'd forgotten about the 12 months part.

• 2 weeks later...