Teaching in Western Australia

Malisa

Hi All, 

I am new on here and I'm hoping someone can help make sense of the process for me. I have loads of info off websites but I'm not sure when to do what. Also seen some conflicting information. 

I am a 52 year old UK  teacher and would like to emigrate to WA to teach. I believe I would need to have a sponsor and a 482 visa due to my age. I am planning to apply to the Teaching pool.

I have read up on the aitsl skills check, I have a 3 year degree and a PGCE, so I should qualify hopefully. On the WA teaching Registration board, it says it does the check alongside registering me. However I have read on this forum that if you are sponsored you do not need a skills check? Also when do I need to do this, do I need to be registered before I can apply or do the school register me if I get offered sponsorship.

I'm hoping somebody has been through this process and can get me started on my first steps.

Thanks in advance.

Whether your qualifications are sufficient for WA is a question for @benj1980.

The bigger issue is your age.  As you say, your only choice is a 482 visa, but that is not migration.  It only gets you a short-term work contract for 2 to 4 years.  After a qualifying period, you'd normally be able to apply for a permanent visa, BUT the cut-off for that visa is 45.  There are only limited exceptions to that age limit.  Have you looked into the exceptions and whether you'd stand a chance of meeting one of them?

33 minutes ago, Malisa said:

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Yes I can only get a 2 year visa initially as a primary teacher. Hoping opportunities will arise while there to extend though. 

Yes, you might be able to extend but not indefinitely.   There are no visas that will magically become available once you're in Australia, and it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever qualify for a permanent visa.  If you're single with no kids, then spending a few years in Australia could be a great adventure, just don't fool yourself you're migrating.  

22 hours ago, Malisa said:

Hi All, 

I am new on here and I'm hoping someone can help make sense of the process for me. I have loads of info off websites but I'm not sure when to do what. Also seen some conflicting information. 

I am a 52 year old UK  teacher and would like to emigrate to WA to teach. I believe I would need to have a sponsor and a 482 visa due to my age. I am planning to apply to the Teaching pool.

I have read up on the aitsl skills check, I have a 3 year degree and a PGCE, so I should qualify hopefully. On the WA teaching Registration board, it says it does the check alongside registering me. However I have read on this forum that if you are sponsored you do not need a skills check? Also when do I need to do this, do I need to be registered before I can apply or do the school register me if I get offered sponsorship.

I'm hoping somebody has been through this process and can get me started on my first steps.

Thanks in advance.

You still require a skills check but it would be TRBWA and not AITSL. The reality is TRBWA are a little more flexible than AITSL so I only see that as a positive. If you're keen to enter the pool I'd suggest contacting the email below:

international.recruitment@education.wa.edu.au

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/01/2024 at 05:43, benj1980 said:

Hi @Malisa any updates?

Hi, sorry haven’t been on for a while and only just picked up your message. I  in the pool now and my TRBWA registration is going through atm. I have expressed interest in a couple of positions but I’m yet to hear. 
Have you by any chance come anyone else on this forum who has gone through this process? 
thanks