Best Visa Approach?

bearnova64

Given the requirement to visit Australia within 12 months of it being granted to "activate" it and then make the subsequent permanent move within 5 years of the visa being granted I have a question please. The cost of flying from the UK to Australia is quite a lot, so is the best approach to time the visa application( as best one can, given the timescales to process the visa vary!) so you are ready to make the permanent move within the initial 12 month period to save on the flight costs of making the "visa activation" visit?

Second question, although I appreciate it varies, what is the rough processing time for a straightforward visa application please? I have been reliably informed my case is straight forward.

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Did you check the link to the immi website that I provided on your other thread? You can check there the average processing time for each kind of visa. Whether you want to try and time it for your activation trip or not is up to you - that may or may not work as you just don’t have a crystal ball. 

Those processing times on the immi website don't appear to be accurate for a partner visa, as they indicate a processing time of 2-3 years. In the other thread Alan Collet provided a list of recent clients where they are receiving their partner visas in 2-3 months, not long at all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bearnova64 said:

Given the requirement to visit Australia within 12 months of it being granted to "activate" it and then make the subsequent permanent move within 5 years of the visa being granted I have a question please. The cost of flying from the UK to Australia is quite a lot, so is the best approach to time the visa application( as best one can, given the timescales to process the visa vary!) so you are ready to make the permanent move within the initial 12 month period to save on the flight costs of making the "visa activation" visit?

Second question, although I appreciate it varies, what is the rough processing time for a straightforward visa application please? I have been reliably informed my case is straight forward.

I suggest respectfully that you go back and read the answers given to your original post; https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/216897-visa-timelines-and-costs-advice/

I made the point that if you applied for the visa nearer the time then you wouldn't need to make a separate trip to Australia to activate/validate it. However, @FirstWorldProblems pointed out that in the meantime you may develop a health problem which could result in your failing the medical and being refused.

If you're planning to emigrate in the next couple of years then you might to want to leave applying until a little nearer the time to avoid the 'activation trip', but if you're looking at 4-5 years from now then you'd be better getting your application in sooner rather than later, and the visa under your belt.

In answer to your second question (and back to your original post), Alan Collet provided a list of recent clients where they have received their partner visas in 2-3 months. Clearly it will vary depending on your individual circumstances, but if they are straightforward then you can't imagine it is going to take much too much longer than that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Those processing times on the immi website don't appear to be accurate for a partner visa, as they indicate a processing time of 2-3 years. In the other thread Alan Collet provided a list of recent clients where they are receiving their partner visas in 2-3 months, not long at all.

That’s strange, the skilled visa ones seem pretty accurate. As Marisa says, maybe there a few long ones skewing the average. In any case it’s not really a question anyone can answer definitively - we can give averages and examples but some of the visa process seems very random to say the least! 

• Like 1

There's been a backlog for years which has become the source of embarrassment to the government (past and previous) but I doubt it would've made the news in the UK. When the borders were closed in 2020 and skilled applications were put on hold they focussed on clearing the backlog of partner visa applications, which I assume is why the processing time has now dropped from year to months.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jul/21/visa-application-backlog-risks-causing-human-misery-and-economic-carnage-due-to-understaffing-says-labor-mp