RRV 2 years calculation

Jon the Hat

Hi All

As I am approaching both 2 years since I moved permanently to Australia, and the expiry of my initial 5 year travel portion of my PR, I will need to apply for a RRV shortly.  (The gap is about 8 weeks so I do expect to get the 5 year RRV.)  My question is can I apply 2 years to the day after I arrived in Australia (as I have been resident since then), or do I need to take into account days spent outside the country (holiday, work trips) which would push it back another 30 days or so?

I assume no issues arriving back in Australia with only a month to go on the RRV as I have a business trip planned?

18 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hi All

As I am approaching both 2 years since I moved permanently to Australia, and the expiry of my initial 5 year travel portion of my PR, I will need to apply for a RRV shortly.  (The gap is about 8 weeks so I do expect to get the 5 year RRV.)  My question is can I apply 2 years to the day after I arrived in Australia (as I have been resident since then), or do I need to take into account days spent outside the country (holiday, work trips) which would push it back another 30 days or so?

I assume no issues arriving back in Australia with only a month to go on the RRV as I have a business trip planned?

Yes, I think you do. I applied for my wife's RRV about a year or so ago, and recall having to take that additional time overseas into consideration. If you haven't been resident for the full two years you will almost certainly be granted a 1 year RRV, which would be rather annoying considering the cost is currently $465. If you're granted the 5-year one then that should tie you over until you get your citizenship, assuming that's you intention to apply. For the record, it only took a couple of days from when I applied until my wife getting her RRV. Processing times will vary based on individual circumstances of course, but this one seems like a rubber stamp job if you're onshore.

In answer to your second question, no that shouldn't be an issue - just as long as you don't have a penchant for base-jumping, or some other high risk sport that might put you in traction for 6 weeks overseas.

• Like 1

or do I need to take into account days spent outside the country (holiday, work trips) which would push it back another 30 days or so?

Yes ... it's the cumulative number of days physically present in Australia as a permanent resident in the 5 years before the application date. Arrival and departure days both count as a day (Canberra time).  You can apply for your movement records online to double check this if it's tight. 

No problem at all - you can arrive on the last day (but obviously this is not recommended!) 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thanks both!  So I could technically count the week I spent in Australia when I activated my visa also?  Even though I was not moving permanently at that time?

Yes, and for future reference you may also find the following link useful for checking your movements in/out of Australia.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/request-international-movement-records

• 4 weeks later...