Cairns - much to do?

theonetruechris

Years ago I went on a mystery flight (remember them?) and ended up in Cairns.  i got in a taxi at the airport thinking I'd go into downtown Cairns and have a look around first.  On the way, I asked the taxi driver what was worth seeing.   He promptly changed direction, advising me not to waste my time with the town, and that there was only one thing worth seeing, and that was Kuranda Village. I spent a lovely day there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, theonetruechris said:

Thinking about popping up to Cairns for my 50th at the start of October for a week. Is there much to do apart from the reef? Going to be flying solo - I'm not sure if that matters.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that after Sydney and Melbourne, the Cairns region has more fun stuff to do than anywhere else in Australia. And whilst it's hardly the Big Apple, the town is a lot more cosmopolitan these days with plenty of nightlife options to suit most tastes. You'll be coming at a good time of the year before it gets hot, and the water will still be clear if you fancy a trip to the reef. You should definitely considering hiring a car while you're up here, and acquiring a tourist map of the region. Here's a few ideas...

• Cairns Northern Beaches: Trinity Beach, Clifton Beach, and Palm Beach. Lovely palm-fringed beaches, perfect for swimming between May and October.
  • Daintree Rainforest: Visit one of the world's oldest rainforests, and take guided walks, canopy tours, or explore Mossman Gorge for an authentic rainforest experience.
  • Kuranda Scenic Railway and Skyrail: Enjoy a scenic train ride on the Kuranda Scenic Railway through the rainforest and return via the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, offering breathtaking aerial views.
  • Cairns Esplanade: Take a leisurely stroll along the Cairns Esplanade, a picturesque waterfront promenade with parks, BBQ areas, a swimming lagoon, and numerous dining options.
  • Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park: Learn about Australia's Indigenous culture through interactive experiences, performances, and demonstrations.
  • Hot Air Ballooning: Experience a memorable hot air balloon ride over the Atherton Tablelands, enjoying panoramic views at sunrise.
  • Cairns Wildlife Dome: Get up close to Australian wildlife, including koalas, crocodiles, and native birds, at this enclosed wildlife exhibit.
  • Barron Gorge National Park: Explore Barron Gorge National Park, home to the impressive Barron Falls, with hiking trails and scenic lookout points (near Kuranda).
  • Fitzroy Island: Take a ferry to Fitzroy Island, a tropical paradise with hiking trails, snorkelling spots, and a turtle rehabilitation centre. We honeymooned here!
  • Green Island: As above, but a shorter boat trip from Cairns (and far more touristy)
  • White Water Rafting: Thrill-seekers can go white water rafting on the Tully or Barron River for an exciting adventure. (This is 2 hours south of Cairns)
  • Cairns Botanic Gardens: Relax in the lush Cairns Botanic Gardens, featuring a diverse collection of tropical plants and themed gardens (and it's free!).
  • Crystal Cascades: Swim in the pristine waters of Crystal Cascades, a secluded rainforest swimming spot located just a short drive from Cairns.
  • Paronella Park: Visit Paronella Park, a heritage-listed Spanish-style castle surrounded by gardens, waterfalls, and rainforest in the nearby town of Mena Creek.
  • Port Douglas: Take a day trip to Port Douglas, a charming coastal town known for its Four Mile Beach and vibrant Macrossan Street, plus an amazing coastal drive en route.
  • Cairns Aquarium: Explore the underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef without getting wet through interactive exhibits and marine life displays.
  • Night Markets: Shop for souvenirs, savour local cuisine, and enjoy live entertainment at the Cairns Night Markets.
  • Millaa Millaa Waterfalls: Discover the picturesque Millaa Millaa Waterfalls, known for its stunning cascades and natural beauty, located in the Atherton Tablelands region.
  • Atherton: Explore the charming town of Atherton where you can visit local markets, explore historical sites, and enjoy the scenic countryside. (1.5 hours from Cairns)
  • Like 3