Ship Master Immigration & Study Route

Capt SAK

@Marisa weight

@CaptainR

Hi all ,

I have gone through many of your valuable posts and really appreciate the kind work you have done so far. Hope u all are well settled and doing good.
I am a ship captain UK COC holder , Ocean Going ( Sadly for Oz atleast) , intending to do Graduate Diploma in Maritime Operations at UTAS. Understand will have to go through COR process as well as same will be required for state nomination for 491. My queries are bit different from most of ship captains here , for which I would request all experts out there to chip in with yr valuable advice.

1) As I am enrolled for a Graduate Diploma from Tasmanian University, for skill points , will I get any thing as bonus for this in points ? I have also BSc Nautical so what should I actually claim for ? Master Mariner , Bsc Nautical or Graduate Diploma from Australia,  Cause they all lay under same category “Qualification” ..
2) I am intending and hoping to purchase some business or setup one in Launceston area ( Cafe, Small hotel, retail outlet anything) no hope or intention to find an offshore job or return to sea after settling in there , so is there any potential for small businesses ? If any suggestions pls feel free to share.

3) Are there any shore jobs like Operators etc in Australia? 

As per my little research Tassi is only state , offering Graduate Skilled worker visa after “one year” of study program and if u stayed there for one year , have positive skill assessment and of course u r under 45. May be am wrong but i believe this is the only way I can utilise to go to OZ with Family , do my COR ( Positive Skill Assessment by AMSA) and get 491 / Graduate skill work visa . Once I have this I can look into option of buying some small business ( Gas Station etc) and hope this fairy tale will have a happy ending for me and my family . 
Do u think there is some other way too ? 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why are you planning to study in Tasmania?  What do you hope to achieve by doing that?   

The Australian Maritime College is the national centre for maritime training and research. It is based in Launceston and is administered by the University of Tasmania.

Australian Maritime College | University of Tasmania (amc.edu.au)

Pls correct me if I am wrong !

As I understand for PR u need to stay in that region for 03 continuous years and have some taxable salary ( I am still checking if odd jobs or small business will count to it or not? ) , and some other small clean character etc requirements ..so after 491 if someone can find some job earning atleast 60,000 AUD per annum (Threshold Limit in Tassi) and “stay” in the same region for 03 years U can get to 191 ( Permanent Residency) .

below from Home Office website.

Qte

You must
  • hold an eligible visa for at least three years.
  • provide notices of assessment issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for three income years out of the five years of your eligible visa. There is no minimum income requirement.
  • have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held.

unqte

40 minutes ago, Capt SAK said:

Pls correct me if I am wrong !

As I understand for PR u need to stay in that region for 03 continuous years and have some taxable salary ( I am still checking if odd jobs or small business will count to it or not? ) , and some other small clean character etc requirements ..so after 491 ....

I am not clear if you will be able to get the 491 visa, that is why I'm asking the question.

1 hour ago, Capt SAK said:

I am looking for this :

https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migration/subclass_491/nomination_pathways/tasmanian_skilled_graduate_pathway

I believe I can match all this requirements after carrying out 1 Year Graduate Diploma in Maritime Operations & getting AMSA COR ( Assessment).

Did you see this section:

I meet all the minimum nomination requirements.  Does that mean I will be nominated?

• No.  Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee that you will be offered Tasmanian nomination.
  • Meeting the minimum nomination requirements only allows you to register your interest in nomination in the Migration Tasmania Gateway.
  • Applicants will also need to demonstrate that they have Priority Attributes relevant to a particular nomination pathway.
  • The Migration Tasmania Gateway will rank you according to the information provided in the registration of interest and the Priority Attributes you hold.
  • The most competitive applicants will be invited to lodge an application for nomination.

The priority attributes seem complicated and most of them seem to require you to have worked in Tasmania in a role that's directly related to your skilled occupation. 

Note also, that even if you meet ALL the requirements, you may not get invited.  It is the same as a job application:  it's a competitive process. Every applicant meets all the requirements.  The Tasmanian government will pick only the very best applicants and reject the rest.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thnx .. You are spot on .. this part looks very unpromising 

Applicants will also need to demonstrate that they have Priority Attributes relevant to a particular nomination pathway.”

I read it and went on to see the stats for total Nomination Quota vs Nomination Granted for state of Tasmania , which looked very promising

———- 

Caseload processing details (updated 24 August 2023)

Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa:

• Nominations – 0 of 600 places used
  • Nomination applications lodged but not decided – 190
  • Invitations to apply for nomination issued but not yet accepted – 7

Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491) visa:

• Nominations – 0 of 600 places used
  • Nomination applications lodged but not decided – 149
  • Invitations to apply for nomination issued but not yet accepted – 43

———-

0 of 600 used places and 149 total applicants .. shouldn’t they give nomination to a person who meets all other criteria  ! 

I read yr last comment para now .. yeah its like Job Application , then in this case I will need to find a job on “Temporary Graduate Visa” which I believe is for 2 years and once have some kind of skill related job go on to apply for 491 .. 

Edited by Capt SAK

6 minutes ago, Capt SAK said:

Thnx .. You are spot on .. this part looks very unpromising 

Applicants will also need to demonstrate that they have Priority Attributes relevant to a particular nomination pathway.”

Did you read all the information on what the Priority Atttributes are?   

6 minutes ago, Capt SAK said:

I read yr last comment para now .. yeah its like Job Application , then in this case I will need to find a job on “Temporary Graduate Visa” which I believe is for 2 years and once have some kind of skill related job go on to apply for 491 .. 

Yes it is, but notice that you need the qualifications AND experience for that skilled job.  Your qualifications will be in Maritime Operations so the job must be in Maritime Operations too.  

Actually many of guys here like @CaptainR , @CaptainN have got their AMSA COR ( Skilled Assessment) and having overseas Experience got the nomination and subsequent VISA , ( all back dated 2015-2107) I was being more cautious to chose a graduation from local uni as well . I will look into this in detail . Unable to contact atm with any of ex- seafarer settled in Oz.