Has any one been granted 189/190 with an AVO?

Litt..

I had a bitter break up with an ex and have an AVO against me. AFP check is clear and no charges and comvictions ever. 

My spouse has applied 189. And I am worried about it. We have declared it and provided a personal statement. 

Does anyone know of any similar situation? I am worried sick! 😞

am so upset that my emotional breakdown could affect my life. 

7 hours ago, Litt.. said:

Hi Maria 

Its been more than 1.5 yrs. 

I guess not. 

It is such a shame that my current spouse has to suffer due to my past relationship as he is the main applicant and I am the dependant 

Immigration in Oz is very anti any kind of domestic violence; its not an automatic no, but I would seriously advise speaking to a registered agent about how to approach the issue.

14 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Immigration in Oz is very anti any kind of domestic violence; its not an automatic no, but I would seriously advise speaking to a registered agent about how to approach the issue.

Hey 

I agree it is very strict. However my AVO did not allege any violence or threat. Rather more on spamming his email with nagging about how wrong I was treated. In retrospect, I fully accept my failure in not moving on earlier. Surrounding circumstance including covid and not being able to see my parents had made it worse for me emotionally. 

My only hope is that I have a clear police check both from Aus and my home country. Any clue why AVOs dont show up in afp checks even though we are required to declare them? 

We have an agent. He said we could be asked for stat dec and character references. 

8 hours ago, Litt.. said:

Hey 

I agree it is very strict. However my AVO did not allege any violence or threat. Rather more on spamming his email with nagging about how wrong I was treated. In retrospect, I fully accept my failure in not moving on earlier. Surrounding circumstance including covid and not being able to see my parents had made it worse for me emotionally. 

My only hope is that I have a clear police check both from Aus and my home country. Any clue why AVOs dont show up in afp checks even though we are required to declare them? 

We have an agent. He said we could be asked for stat dec and character references. 

Believe me, I understand only too well how this kind of thing can be taken very out of context, and I also know that its very wrong to judge without all the facts. Domestic situations are so difficult for outsider to understand. 

I can't advise at all as to why AVOs aren't on AFP checks, sorry. My experience is with a country in Europe, not Australia itself, though the level of severity sounds similar in the great scheme of things. 

Glad you have an agent, I wouldn't advise tackling it without one, and I would be prepared for a request for character references etc, and possibly a long wait for a decision.

I wish you luck 🙂 

• Like 1