Driving licences in Australia

LA7000

So I am thinking of flying back to the UK to complete my bike licence as it takes over 2 years to get a full licence in Victoria , I am going to complete a direct access course which will provide a full unrestricted bike license within a week. My question is, I have already converted my UK driving licence to an Australian one will it be an issue getting the unrestricted bike licence added to my current Australian licence?

Is it even possible to do the Direct Access course in the UK without being a current resident?  I'm thinking practicalities of getting the new licence posted to you or whatever.

I'm a biker, got my licence in Europe and converted bike & car when I moved here.  I know this isn't what you asked but I personally would advise against going back and doing the test in the UK, for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the specific laws around bikes aren't the same.  I don't know about VIC (I'm in NSW) but, for example, you can filter through traffic but only up to 30kph.  We can use bus or shared use lanes but can't park on the pavement.  We can use dedicated bike bays free of charge in the city.  Helmets are mandatory but high vis isn't.  In Vic bikes can park on the pavement if they aren't causing an obstruction.  Some or all of those rules are different in Ireland where I did my test.  Given how quickly the Police hand out points - especially to bikers - it's better to learn the correct rules of the road when training (and not just copy what you see others doing).

Second is that a gradated licence system for bikes is proven to be safer.  The advantage of a direct access course is that you can ride any bike, so after a full week of training (!) you can jump on a BMW S1000RR and go 0-60 in 3 seconds.  But most experienced bikers you talk to will advise you to start on something smaller and cheaper.  You will drop your first bike.  You will make errors of judgement with cornering, filtering and during low speed manoeuvres.  You will have a few 'oh crap' moments.  Doing that on a smaller bike that is lighter, less powerful and cheaper to repair is inherently safer.   It builds confidence and skill so that you can step up to a bigger bike confidently rather than deciding the hobby isn't for you.

LAMS bikes don't have to be dull; I ride a Kawasaki and their LAMS range (https://www.kawasaki.com.au/en-au/lams) has a bit of everything from retro, sports, adventure to cruiser and most brands will be the same.  Up to you but from what I'm told the course over here is pretty good

• Like 1

I agree with Andrew here.  There is a good reason you are restricted until you have real experience riding a bike.  There are some great looking and riding bikes in Aus that you can ride until you get a full licence.  I know my son was a bit miffed but after a few weeks he admitted that he wasn’t ready to handle a big powerful bike just yet.  I didn’t ask but I suspect he had a few “issues”. He was an experienced driver and cyclist but handling a motor bike is very different. 

51 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

I agree with Andrew here.  There is a good reason you are restricted until you have real experience riding a bike.  There are some great looking and riding bikes in Aus that you can ride until you get a full licence.  I know my son was a bit miffed but after a few weeks he admitted that he wasn’t ready to handle a big powerful bike just yet.  I didn’t ask but I suspect he had a few “issues”. He was an experienced driver and cyclist but handling a motor bike is very different. 

1 hour ago, AndrewMcD said:

Is it even possible to do the Direct Access course in the UK without being a current resident?  I'm thinking practicalities of getting the new licence posted to you or whatever.

I'm a biker, got my licence in Europe and converted bike & car when I moved here.  I know this isn't what you asked but I personally would advise against going back and doing the test in the UK, for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the specific laws around bikes aren't the same.  I don't know about VIC (I'm in NSW) but, for example, you can filter through traffic but only up to 30kph.  We can use bus or shared use lanes but can't park on the pavement.  We can use dedicated bike bays free of charge in the city.  Helmets are mandatory but high vis isn't.  In Vic bikes can park on the pavement if they aren't causing an obstruction.  Some or all of those rules are different in Ireland where I did my test.  Given how quickly the Police hand out points - especially to bikers - it's better to learn the correct rules of the road when training (and not just copy what you see others doing).

Second is that a gradated licence system for bikes is proven to be safer.  The advantage of a direct access course is that you can ride any bike, so after a full week of training (!) you can jump on a BMW S1000RR and go 0-60 in 3 seconds.  But most experienced bikers you talk to will advise you to start on something smaller and cheaper.  You will drop your first bike.  You will make errors of judgement with cornering, filtering and during low speed manoeuvres.  You will have a few 'oh crap' moments.  Doing that on a smaller bike that is lighter, less powerful and cheaper to repair is inherently safer.   It builds confidence and skill so that you can step up to a bigger bike confidently rather than deciding the hobby isn't for you.

LAMS bikes don't have to be dull; I ride a Kawasaki and their LAMS range (https://www.kawasaki.com.au/en-au/lams) has a bit of everything from retro, sports, adventure to cruiser and most brands will be the same.  Up to you but from what I'm told the course over here is pretty good

Hey guys thanks so much for the feedback, I’m still considered a resident in the UK so I am able to return and do the direct access. I do have experience on bikes (not legally) but I have been riding bikes for years and I remember my first time going from a small bike to a large bike and thinking this is a whole different kettle or fish haha. I was in the uk just the other week on a KTM 990 adventure, up in the snowdonia mountain range, lovely bike! This is why I’m trying to avoid being restricted for so long as I have driven both powerful and non powerful and I’m sure you both agree the rush from the power is good! I’m looking to get an adventure tourer.. maybe the Triumph tiger 900 rally pro. Really appreciate the feedback guys

On 23/06/2023 at 11:49, LA7000 said:

So I am thinking of flying back to the UK to complete my bike licence as it takes over 2 years to get a full licence in Victoria , I am going to complete a direct access course which will provide a full unrestricted bike license within a week. My question is, I have already converted my UK driving licence to an Australian one will it be an issue getting the unrestricted bike licence added to my current Australian licence?

If VicRoads have already converted your UK licence into a Victorian licence, I don't see them accepting a new UK licence to convert - especially if the date for passing the test is after the date that they have for you becoming resident in Victoria. So, yes, I'd expect it to be an issue. I could be wrong though since the bureaucratic mind does not always work the way you would expect.

• Like 3