190 when is an RRV required

Elaine N

Hi. We have our 190 which was granted September 2022. We have been to Australia to activate it. We are still in the UK at present. When we move do we just go on the 190 or do we need the RRV (I’ve asked a couple people and been totally stressed out as they seem to think we need ‘return paper work’!). 

19 minutes ago, Elaine N said:

Hi. We have our 190 which was granted September 2022. We have been to Australia to activate it. We are still in the UK at present. When we move do we just go on the 190 or do we need the RRV (I’ve asked a couple people and been totally stressed out as they seem to think we need ‘return paper work’!). 

Hi Elaine

Your 190 visa is valid for 5yrs from the date you receive it, so Sept 2027.

I believe you are free to do as you wish in that time so i am fairly certain that you don’t need a RRV as long as you enter Australia before then.

The RRV would be for when that 5 yrs passes and you haven’t got citizenship, so you would need an extension to your 190.

Hopefully someone else can back this up for you.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hi Elaine

Your 190 visa is valid for 5yrs from the date you receive it, so Sept 2027.

I believe you are free to do as you wish in that time so i am fairly certain that you don’t need a RRV as long as you enter Australia before then.

The RRV would be for when that 5 yrs passes and you haven’t got citizenship, so you would need an extension to your 190.

Hopefully someone else can back this up for you.

I agree.  @lavers is spot on

image.png.1d9c70a4f2d97382e1bec220844f9cb6.png

Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa (homeaffairs.gov.au)

image.thumb.png.d7e11bf5b300502636f7183ce47f1a48.png

• Like 3

A 190 does not expire, what expires after 5 years is the travel right (the right to enter Australia).

Read your visa grant letter.

If you apply for a RRV and you have not resided in Australia for at least 2 years in the previous 5 years, the RRV application will not be straightforward.