Partner Visa 820 (temporary)

OwenJohn

To be eligible to sponsor a Partner on this Visa, Partner Visa 820 (temporary),   just checking the IMMI website, a permanent resident  PR can sponsor their partner.  (be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen)   However I thought there was a rule relating to this that a permanent resident can not sponsor a partner or family member unless they have lived in Australia for the immediate previous 2 years ?    It doesn't seem to say that on the website, or maybe I can't see it.   Can anyone shed any light on this for me please.   Has it changed at all Post Covid ? 

6 hours ago, OwenJohn said:

To be eligible to sponsor a Partner on this Visa, Partner Visa 820 (temporary)....I thought there was a rule relating to this that a permanent resident can not sponsor a partner or family member unless they have lived in Australia for the immediate previous 2 years ?  

Nope, you don't have to be living in Australia or even have lived here recently.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply to my post.  It's good news for my Son who intends to sponsor his fiancé once she's completed her Masters in May. He's already got PR and living in NSW, the past 9 months. I bet him $50 he needed to have lived here 2 years before he could sponsor her.  I lost, 🤣  Thanks once again for your help.  

1 minute ago, OwenJohn said:

Thanks for the reply to my post.  It's good news for my Son who intends to sponsor his fiancé once she's completed her Masters in May. He's already got PR and living in NSW, the past 9 months. I bet him $50 he needed to have lived here 2 years before he could sponsor her.  I lost, 🤣  Thanks once again for your help.  

22 hours ago, paulhand said:

You need to be “usually resident” in Australia to sponsor for a partner visa as a permanent resident. This is a less strict test than “settled” which is required for parent visas. 

“Has it changed post Covid?” - No. 

1 minute ago, OwenJohn said:

37 minutes ago, OwenJohn said:

Thanks for the reply to my post.  It's good news for my Son who intends to sponsor his fiancé once she's completed her Masters in May. He's already got PR and living in NSW, the past 9 months. I bet him $50 he needed to have lived here 2 years before he could sponsor her.  I lost, 🤣  Thanks once again for your help.  

In which case there should be no issue at all, provided they meet all the relationship criteria.