Retiring in Tasmania

InnerVoice

29 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

The road map we had showed Strahan and Arthur River were the only places on the west coast you can reach by car. Unless you're referring to the west coast as a region, as opposed to places located actually 'on the west coast', which is how we interpreted.

I've driven right down the west coast in my elderly Corolla no problem.  The roads do make you concentrate on your driving but I take it slowly and stop often to admire the different scenery.  It is very different to the east coast.  Parts of it remind me of the area of Scotland where I was brought up.

https://lapoftasmania.com.au/places-to-visit/west-coast-tasmania/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've driven right down the west coast in my elderly Corolla no problem.  The roads do make you concentrate on your driving but I take it slowly and stop often to admire the different scenery.  It is very different to the east coast.  Parts of it remind me of the area of Scotland where I was brought up.

https://lapoftasmania.com.au/places-to-visit/west-coast-tasmania/

Oh, that does look good! You're making me feel like we missed out on something now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InnerVoice said:

@Toots I thought the east coast was beautiful in places, but couldn't imagine living there as the towns are so small and piddly - not much bigger than villages by English standards. Yes, it was very dry, although we thought the Port Arthur peninsula and Freycinet National Park were absolutely stunning. It would've been nice to have seen St Helens and the Bay of Fires too, but that'll have to wait until next time.

On my first trip to Tassie I visited Strahan and Queenstown, both of which I recall were very pretty, but I couldn't imagine living in either for the aforementioned reasons. As far as I was aware, a lot of the west coast is inaccessible unless you have a 4WD. At least that's what the guy in the car hire office told us!😄

My wife works for Accor so we were able to stay at the Devonport Novotel for almost half price. Talk about 'location location', right next to the town centre and from our room we could watch the ferries and various boats cruise in and out the harbour, which was fascinating. The restaurant bar was bathed in sunshine in the evening so a perfect spot for a few drinks, although we didn't eat there - a bit over our budget!

I don't know if you walked along the pathway beside the river which is across the road from the hotel where you stayed?  We live about 10 minutes from there in the direction of the sea.  We can see the ferries going to and fro from our kitchen window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, InnerVoice said:

Oh, that does look good! You're making me feel like we missed out on something now!

You have to admit 2 weeks isn't long enough to explore the island.  Most people head off to Hobart and the south but there is so much more to see.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Toots said:

I don't know if you walked along the pathway beside the river which is across the road from the hotel where you stayed?  We live about 10 minutes from there in the direction of the sea.  We can see the ferries going to and fro from our kitchen window.

Yes, we did that walk on our last evening - what an amazing place to live! Unfortunately the forum doesn't have a 'Wow!" reaction emoji, so here's one now... 😮

22 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

The road map we had showed Strahan and Arthur River were the only places on the west coast you can reach by car. Unless you're referring to the west coast as a region, as opposed to places located actually 'on the west coast', which is how we interpreted.

Yes, I meant the general region of the West Coast.  However, apart from Strahan and Arthur River there are only 3 other settlements on the actual coast -  Temma, Granville Harbour and Trial Harbour (mostly comprised of fishing shacks).    The roads in are gravel but no problem with 2WD unless the weather's been very wet.  If you were travelling in winter a 4WD would be an advantage  as parts of that West Coast highway are susceptible to ice and snow.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

but were surprised by just how poor some folks looked - and we're hardly rolling in it!

Ah - don't be fooled.   There are a lot of alternative lifestylers/off the grid-ers in Tasmania:  they'd be more concerned  with how lightly they are treading on the earth and how many heritage seeds they are saving than being well presented in public.  😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Ah - don't be fooled.   There are a lot of alternative lifestylers/off the grid-ers in Tasmania:  they'd be more concerned  with how lightly they are treading on the earth and how many heritage seeds they are saving than being well presented in public.  😀

Heritage seeds??

3 hours ago, Skani said:

I'm sure some folk look at me when I make a foray into Coles after I've been mucking out stables and doing a bit of fence repairing - wearing wellies and ripped jeans, hair all over the place.  Probably think poor old soul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Heritage seeds??

A heritage/heirloom seed is seed from a plant that has been passed from one generation to another, carefully grown and saved because it is considered valuable. The value could lie in its flavor, productivity, hardiness or adaptability. Many heritage/heirlooms have been grown, saved and passed down for more than 100 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Toots said:

A heritage/heirloom seed is seed from a plant that has been passed from one generation to another, carefully grown and saved because it is considered valuable. The value could lie in its flavor, productivity, hardiness or adaptability. Many heritage/heirlooms have been grown, saved and passed down for more than 100 years.

Well you learn something new every day!