482 to partner visa

mzybusg

I am moving to Australia on a 482 Medium Stream TSS Visa which is already sorted. My partner is Australian and we will be married shortly before we arrive in Australia.

Can the 482 TSS Visa later (for example 1 year into my stay) be converted to a partnership visa (820/801)? During this process can I continue working with my Australian employer until the new visa is granted?

Thanks

You can't "convert" one visa to another.   However there is nothing to stop you applying for another visa.  You can apply for another visa as soon as you're settled if you're eligible, you certainly don't need to wait a year. 

Applying for another visa has no effect on the visa you currently hold.  It will just continue as normal.   When your new visa is granted, your old visa will be cancelled, but that won't matter because your partner visa is a PR visa, so you have full work rights. 

If, by chance, your new visa isn't granted before your 482 runs out, you will get a bridging visa which allows you to stay in Australia until the new visa is granted.  However that's so unlikely in your case, I wouldn't worry about it.   If you are coming from the UK then a partner visa is much faster than the quoted times.

Edited by Marisawright

• 2 weeks later...