Ofsted...Does Oz have something similar???

Guest mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi, Does anyone know if there is something like an Ofsted Report for Australian Schools???

If so, can you give me the link.

Thanks, Mandisfam

Hello pet.

I think the answer to that is no. From what I have gathered anyway. All states operate individually so probably do their own assessment type things. And I have also read that there are other independent organisations that do the same sort of thing. I am sure someone with a bit more solid info will come along and answer this question better than I have!!!!

Kate

No. As saundersclan said, the states are all autonomous and there is no national assessment program. In ACT we have a rolling schools appraisal process which happens to each school every 5 years or so. The idea is that it is a semi moderated self assessment (ie navel gazing) which takes up a lot of time and achieves little by way of tangible outcomes. The ACT is very good at navel gazing, it is what we excel at even if nothing then ever comes of it. We change the process every now and again but the outcomes are still the same. We have had critical friend processes, we have had director assessments, we have had board led evaluations but afaik the reports are not made public.

Guest mandisfam

Thanks Kate and Quoll. So what would be the best way to determine how good a school is??? Or is it just a case of read the schools website and visit them when you get out there and go with the feel when you visit them.

Schools are one our biggest worries. It doesn't help that our eldest current attends a school with an outstanding ofsted report, so we have a high benchmark already.

Mandisfam

I think it should be a case of visiting the schools and also listening to what the local people say. My brother did this for his kids and found that the local state school had a better reputation than the private ones. And their little girl in prep is doing wonderfully. Above all the teacher knows exactly who she is and what her strengths are, so for me that's what I like to hear.

I know what you mean though it is a worry. I live in an area where we are spoilt for choice as far as schools are concerned. Even the rubbish school does really well in the awful league tables! I'm going to go with my gut instinct and hope it pays off.

Good luck.

Hi there,

I've noticed that most of the schools I've been looking at in the Newcastle area have a NSW School report that you can download from their websites. Maybe just the navel gazing that Quoll was referring to but has certainly made interesting reading. The ones that haven't had them on the websites have been happy enough to email me their link, although I can't seem to find a central address where you can access them all in one place.

Sandra

Nothing beats the eyeball test and backfence chat IMHO. I think that you can get a feel for a school just by walking in the front door - I know of schools which would have reported themselves brilliantly but when you walk in the door you just know that you wouldnt want your dog in there, let alone your kid! Make a list of what is important to you in a school and tick them off eg open space vs traditional classes, uniform/dress code or free choice of clothing, emphasis on sport/art/music/drama, streaming or not, early literacy approach etc etc

I wouldnt be panicking too much about the schools though, they are all pretty much of a muchness and reflect the socioeconomic area of the surrounding suburb so if it is a place you want to live in, chances are it is going to be a school that you will be happy with. Schools change with their leadership too and there is a fair bit of mobility in education these days so what is good this year could be changed if the executive staff move on next year.

Archived