PBS

Nanna

5 hours ago, Nanna said:

Can anyone answer this please. If I have a medicare card (as a senior) and am a permanent Resident do I qualify for the PBS discounted scheme for medicine ?

It depends what you mean by "discounted".  

If you have a medicare card and have PR, you pay the normal PBS price, regardless of your age, which can be up to $40 per item.

If you qualify for a Seniors Health Card or a Pensioners Concession Card, then you get cheaper prescriptions (currently $6.80 per item).

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/commonwealth-seniors-health-card

On 20/05/2022 at 03:14, Nanna said:

Can anyone answer this please. If I have a medicare card (as a senior) and am a permanent Resident do I qualify for the PBS discounted scheme for medicine ?

Yes you do. PBS medicines are heavily subsidised by the government.

I have a medication that before it was added to the PBS it was $1000 a prescription. I now get it for $5.80.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Yes you do. PBS medicines are heavily subsidised by the government.

I have a medication that before it was added to the PBS it was $1000 a prescription. I now get it for $5.80.

However as I noted, there is a difference in how much you pay, depending whether you have a health card or concession card of some kind.

If you have one of those cards, you'll pay $5.80 per item.  If you don't have a card, you pay the standard PBS prices. Although they are heavily subsidised, you will still be paying up to $40 per item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

However as I noted, there is a difference in how much you pay, depending whether you have a health card or concession card of some kind.

If you have one of those cards, you'll pay $5.80 per item.  If you don't have a card, you pay the standard PBS prices. Although they are heavily subsidised, you will still be paying up to $40 per item.

Well yes. If you are a pensioner or concession card holder you get even a further discount. But that is different to what was asked about whether she can access the PBS prices,

3 hours ago, Parley said:

Well yes. If you are a pensioner or concession card holder you get even a further discount. But that is different to what was asked about whether she can access the PBS prices,

Considering the username is "Nanna"  and a simple check of her posts shows she's looking at a parent visa...

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Considering the username is "Nanna"  and a simple check of her posts shows she's looking at a parent visa...

A new resident cannot get one of those cards for 4 years after they become a resident in Australia.

So normal PBS prices are what is relevant at the moment.