Resident Return 155

DCPOZUK

My current RRV155 expires beginning of May 2022 - I am due to arrive in Australia before expiry.

I have been in Australia for 4 months in the past 5 years. I applied for a RRV155 in early January 2022 in anticipation that my travel facility would expire May 2022. I am now 99 days since submittting the application and the status still shows 'received'

Does anyone know whether my arrival in Australia will trigger the final steps of processing my application ?

I really need to travel at the end of May for family events.

Thanks in advance 🙂

7 hours ago, DCPOZUK said:

My current RRV155 expires beginning of May 2022 - I am due to arrive in Australia before expiry.

I have been in Australia for 4 months in the past 5 years. I applied for a RRV155 in early January 2022 in anticipation that my travel facility would expire May 2022. I am now 99 days since submittting the application and the status still shows 'received'

You are assuming it won't be rejected, which seems incredibly optimistic.   From what you say, you're not entitled to an RRV because you don't meet the residency requirement AND you don't have any strong ties to Australia. 

It is JUST possible that they will be lenient because they're aware people couldn't get back to Australia due to Covid - but I wouldn't be banking on it. 

Once you've landed in Australia, established a home (signing a 12-month lease is enough) and preferably also got a job, you can apply for the RRV again with that evidence, and it will likely be granted because you can show you've put down roots. But that will obviously take time, so you won't be traveling in May, I think.

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

But he said he needed to travel at the end of May after the current RRV expires.

Yes, but as Marisa also notes, my point was more that he would be ‘safely’ in Australia at the point of risk, so would have options.

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Once you've landed in Australia, established a home (signing a 12-month lease is enough) and preferably also got a job, you can apply for the RRV again with that evidence, and it will likely be granted because you can show you've put down roots.

Oh that's interesting. I'm currently in Australia, I entered last year a couple of months before my RRV expired, but I'm now in the "wait two years until you're entitled to get a new RRV" phase of things and stuck on-shore, which I'm really not complaining about all that much. My partner  has been granted PR as my spouse and can come and go as she pleases (and we can thank paulhand for that!).

Are you saying that, should I want to have an overseas holiday early next year, it's worth a go applying for another RRV based on the evidence that we've leased a place (may even have bought by then), I've been working, etc etc ?

9 minutes ago, Gothnet said:

Oh that's interesting. I'm currently in Australia, I entered last year a couple of months before my RRV expired, but I'm now in the "wait two years until you're entitled to get a new RRV" phase of things and stuck on-shore, which I'm really not complaining about all that much. My partner  has been granted PR as my spouse and can come and go as she pleases (and we can thank paulhand for that!).

Are you saying that, should I want to have an overseas holiday early next year, it's worth a go applying for another RRV based on the evidence that we've leased a place (may even have bought by then), I've been working, etc etc ?

Absolutely … drop me a line. 

26 minutes ago, Gothnet said:

Yup

Have

38 minutes ago, Gothnet said:

have you applied for a RRV and been told you have to wait two years or have you not applied since returning to Australia ?

I'm not familiar with a 2 year rule if you can demonstrate substational ties

8 minutes ago, DCPOZUK said:

have you applied for a RRV and been told you have to wait two years or have you not applied since returning to Australia ?

In general, it is my understanding that you are automatically eligible for an RRV if you have been resident in Australia for at least two years of the last five years.

You can apply for one in other circumstances if you can show ties to Australia.

I have applied for two RRVs in my life - the first one was as I was leaving here 10 years ago, after being resident for two and a half years. I was instantly granted a 5 year RRV. That expired after five years, then about 2 years ago I asked for an RRV based on ties to Australia. I was not entitled to the visa, but I was allowed to apply (anyone who has been PR before can apply, but it is their discretion on whether to grant) and thankfully I was granted a 1-year RRV after a wait of about 3 months. I'm now waiting until I am automatically eligible for the 5-year one again, but I guess it makes sense that if I can demonstrate I have a life here, I can apply earlier.

(To answer directly, no I have not applied for another one since I got here)

Edited by Gothnet
more details

29 minutes ago, DCPOZUK said:

Have

The 2 year rule is the fundamental requirement.  If you meet the 2 year rule, you get a RRV automatically, no questions asked.

If you don't satisfy the 2 year rule then you're not entitled to a RRV.   That doesn't stop you applying, but it's entirely  up to the discretion of the Immigration department whether they'll grant you one anyway.  In practice, if you can demonstrate that you've made your life here and have really strong ties, they're likely to grant it, but it will likely take them a few months to consider it - hence why I said May probably wouldn't be realistic for you.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes my son applied for two RRVs (now a citizen). The first one after being here for a year, he supplied evidence of strong ties, job contract, rental, family members who were citizens. It took about 7 weeks and he got 1 year RRV.

The second time he met the 2 year out of 5 criteria and supplied no extra evidence. The 5 year RRV was granted in a couple of days.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, Carol Ballinger said:

Hi guys I need help, I've lived in Australia since 1976 but I've only been  permanent resident all this time but I left Australia last July "23" with no visa but now I'm wanting to come back to Australia using the RRV is this the correct way. 

Based on what you say, yes.