Any Employer Sponsored Applicants out there?

I’m wondering if there are any particular limitations/benefits that others have found with going via the sponsored route (temporary or permanent)?

I’m hoping to go to Queensland, but as they aren’t opening for offshore nomination this financial year, so I have started exploring sponsorship. I have a couple of recruitment agencies (I’m a nurse) ringing me later this week and am thinking through what to ask them. 

It would be really helpful to hear others’ experiences or thoughts 🙂 

Edited by Cobs_Ahoy
Typo

I can't see any downsides to the 186 DE (permanent employer sponsored).   Sure, you are stuck with that employer for two years:  however, no matter how bad the job is, you can probably grit your teeth and get through it, because it's worth it - once the two years is up, you've got total freedom and permanent residence, what more could you want?   The other bonus is that the employer will offer you a relocation package of some kind, whereas on a 189/190,491, you've got to bear the whole expense yourself.

The 482 (temporary employer sponsored) is a whole other kettle of fish.  A 482 is just a temporary employment contract, effectively.  You come to Australia to work for that employer for 2 to 4 years.  If the company runs into trouble or restructures, you're only a temp contractor so you'll be first out - they are allowed to terminate your contract early if they want. You might get the contract renewed once.  Then you go home.   So it's insecure.  

Don't get me wrong, I think the 482 is a great opportunity to experience life in Australia for a few years.  But that's how you need to treat it - make sure you get some relocation expenses, and do your budget so you know you won't end up spending your life savings on the adventure.  You don't want to end up back where you started and broke.  

I say that because you cannot bank on being able to get permanency after the 482.  The employer is under no legal obligation to sponsor you for permanency, no matter what they promise at the start.  Policies change and (for instance) Head Office might decide permanent sponsorship is too expensive and complex before your turn comes.  Even if they agree to sponsor you for permanency, it's only an application.  Success is not guaranteed.  Just check the threads here about applying for the 186 after the 482, and see how long drawn-out, stressful and uncertain it is, and how many rejections there are.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Marisawright , I’m hoping that the agencies are open to sponsoring via 186, but I had been (perhaps out of frustration) starting to consider a 482. My worry with this was exactly what you said - back where I started in few months/years only broke!

Is the 2 years tied to the same employer a condition of the visa, or a contractual clause with the employer whereby You would be expected to repay costs?Obviously I’m hoping this wouldn’t happen, but if I was to be laid off by the employer then there is still a degree of risk if the 2 years with the same employer is a visa condition.

8 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Is the 2 years tied to the same employer a condition of the visa, or a contractual clause with the employer whereby You would be expected to repay costs?Obviously I’m hoping this wouldn’t happen, but if I was to be laid off by the employer then there is still a degree of risk if the 2 years with the same employer is a visa condition.

You are reliant on that employer for the visa. Lose the job for any reason, lose the visa. You can stay if you can find another employer to take you on, but you only get 90 days to find one before you’ll be shipped home

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You are reliant on that employer for the visa. Lose the job for any reason, lose the visa. 

This is only true for the 482, not the 186. It was also an issue with the now defunct 187 Regional Employer sponsored visa, if the applicant didn’t demonstrate that they had tried to hold the job. For the 186, “the nominator must have the capacity to pay the identified person for at least two years and pay the market salary rate” but the visa is not dependent on the employment continuing. 

The OP would be advised to take some advice independently of any potential employer. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, paulhand said:

This is only true for the 482, not the 186. It was also an issue with the now defunct 187 Regional Employer sponsored visa, if the applicant didn’t demonstrate that they had tried to hold the job. For the 186, “the nominator must have the capacity to pay the identified person for at least two years and pay the market salary rate” but the visa is not dependent on the employment continuing. 

The OP would be advised to take some advice independently of any potential employer. 

Hey @paulhand, sorry to jump in here - would appreciate your opinion on what is an acceptable demonstration of ‘trying to hold the job’.

Is it not being paid as much as other local businesses would pay you? Current ads with disclosed salary for example, or direct offers for the very same position - does this clarify (after you’ve discussed this with the employer and they have refused a pay rise)?

Specifically for 187.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, MilaMocha said:

Hey @paulhand, sorry to jump in here - would appreciate your opinion on what is an acceptable demonstration of ‘trying to hold the job’.

Is it not being paid as much as other local businesses would pay you? Current ads with disclosed salary for example, or direct offers for the very same position - does this clarify (after you’ve discussed this with the employer and they have refused a pay rise)?

Specifically for 187.

Cheers

It will be dependent on circumstances. The law requires that the person must “satisfy the Minister that he or she has made a genuine effort to be engaged in that employment for the required employment period.”