Western Australia

Hi again Elaine 👋🏻

I can’t help with your invite question, but I did see a post on a Facebook group for nurses looking for sponsorship that WA public health hospitals are currently offering sponsorship (I think 186?). No specific details were given so you’d have to do a bit of digging, but 186 is a good option as I think it’s processed as priority if your occupation is on the PMSOL.

I’ve contacted the Sunshine Coast recruitment department of Queensland Health, I didn’t have any luck unfortunately as they aren’t looking to sponsor right now, but I had a conversation with the very helpful director of nursing who gave me some advice and is now a point of contact for when I eventually land. I would definitely recommend getting in touch with hospitals/departments directly, even if it only ends with making some contacts for when you arrive.

• Thanks 1

Hey😁

Thanks. It’s so difficult to know what to do, as every state seems to have a different approach! 
thats great you have a point of contact already. Half the battle just knowing someone that can give you some guidance. 

are you holding out for Queensland?
My EOI runs out the middle of next year  so anything would be great😄

Yeah we are holding out for QLD, they aren’t reopening to offshore applicants this financial year though, which is why I’ve started looking into sponsorship. I’ve emailed a few recruitment agencies and had an email back from one of them this week to arrange having a chat so hopefully something positive will come out if that.

But if not then at least July isn’t too far off now, although getting the EoI is just the start of the next stage of waiting....

1 hour ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

But if not then at least July isn’t too far off now, although getting the EoI is just the start of the next stage of waiting....

It's actually the worst part of the waiting, because you now know the dream could be possible, but it still takes ages and it could still go wrong.

Its like a job application.

Up to the EOI being accepted it's like you've written your CV and maybe attending a course or two to make sure you make the mandatory requirements but you are still waiting for an interview invitation.

Getting the interview is like being accepted to apply for a visa. You now know you look good enough on paper but still don't know if you will get it.

Waiting after an interview to hear if you've got the job is agony, as is waiting to see if the department have got around to granting a visa.

Good Luck with the process though

• Like 2

Cheers @Ausvisitor it’s a tough time to do it that’s for sure, even more uncertainty around timeframes and shifting goal posts than usual. Thankfully I’d been reading this forum for a bit while mulling it over, so have been able to chip away things slowly with (what seemed at the time) a realistic timeline.....  Seeming less realistic now though!

@Elaine N have you got a time you are aiming to be out there? I’ve been aiming for October/November this year but that’s starting to look like a squeeze since QLD announced no offshore nominations this financial year! My eldest is 7 in September and am aware it can get harder to move them then older they are.

Hi @Cobs_Ahoy. It’s a difficult one when there’s kids involved! Mine are 9 and 10. Ideally I would want my youngest to finish primary but I don’t know how realistic that is if we did get a visa. I guess it would depend on the visa as well. If it was a 491 we would go as soon as we could. But if we were lucky enough to secure a 190 theres a bit more flexibility with time frames and stuff. 

would you be planning on leaving soon after getting your visa? 

There are so many variables now that we have no control over that I think we will just aim to head out ASAP, whether that’s with a sponsored job offer over the next few months (unlikely though), or as soon as we are able to get a 190/491 (no way will this be happening before October)

I’d been desperate to move during October as it meant a bit of time to find an area we want to settle in, and would allow my daughter to start school at the beginning of the school year. But at this point just getting out there would be enough!!