Chef skill suggestion: Australia visa

NickB89

Hi All, asking on behalf of my friend.

He has 10+ years of experience as a sous chef. He wants to migrate to Australia with his family and has applied for 491 but I don't think he will get an invite anytime soon. Meanwhile, he got a job offer from Melbourne and they are sponsoring him 482 for 2yr and telling him that they will help him to file PR(ENS most probably, but I don't know). They are offering him 60k + super (Wed- Sunday work)
Can anyone recommend if this will be a good move to migrate to Aus with 482? or any other recommendation you can give.
About him: He is married and has 1 kid.
PS: I am in IT, so I don't know about this chef/cook line of work.

On 01/03/2022 at 00:06, NickB89 said:

He has 10+ years of experience as a sous chef. He wants to migrate to Australia with his family and has applied for 491 but I don't think he will get an invite anytime soon. Meanwhile, he got a job offer from Melbourne and they are sponsoring him 482 for 2yr and telling him that they will help him to file PR(ENS most probably, but I don't know). They are offering him 60k + super (Wed- Sunday work)
Can anyone recommend if this will be a good move to migrate to Aus with 482? or any other recommendation you can give.

He should try and get the full 4 year 482 sponsorship, rather than just 2 years, as the visa costs are the same.

He should have a number of different visa options to convert to Permanent Residency, provided he is eligible for a skills assessment and under 45.

The salary being offered is low for a Sous Chef. Currently good chefs in Melbourne and Sydney are at a premium. 

He would be well advised to have an assessment with a Registered Agent, before committing to anything. 

Edited by Raul Senise
  • Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 00:06, NickB89 said:

That’s a bit low for a sous chef. I am a regular cook and i got 61k + super

On 04/03/2022 at 10:06, NickB89 said:

Update: he mentioned that he got assessment as cook and he is applying for cook position and not sous chef. And for cook position only 2yr visa is granted.

What are his option with that

They are potentially digging themselves a hole which may be difficult to rectify.

Immigration view Cook and Chef and two completely different occupations.