Renewing Child’s Passport now adult in UK

dharmaqueen

Hi all, it’s been a while!

We returned to the UK in 2013 with our son and his passport has since expired.

With recent events in Europe I would like is all to have valid Australian passports ‘just in case’ but his was a child passport and has expired.

I have been looking at the renewal process and it seems you can now apply online which is fantastic as a trip to London is best avoided!

But it’s unclear whether a child to adult renewal can be done this way - my son is now 18!  Does anyone know?

He wants to take a gap year in Australia anyway so worth doing anyway. He’s hoping to spend a year at Uni in Australia but it depends on the course offers he gets & whether Australia is one of the options.

Thank you - that’s what was confusing me.

Looks like a trip to London is on the cards then unless there happens to be an outreach visit to Edinburgh soon but with COVID restrictions just lifting seems unlikely.

Funny seeing a familiar name here I was Milesawaygirl then Lady Rainicorn back in the day 😀

9 minutes ago, dharmaqueen said:

Thank you - that’s what was confusing me.

Looks like a trip to London is on the cards then unless there happens to be an outreach visit to Edinburgh soon but with COVID restrictions just lifting seems unlikely.

Funny seeing a familiar name here I was Milesawaygirl then Lady Rainicorn back in the day 😀

I remember you Lady Rainicorn.  You went back to Scotland with your family.  How's life?  I used to be JockinTas until I mucked up my password. 

I also remember your little son hated Australia.  

I'm still in Tasmania.  Still .loving it here.

It’s nice to be remembered 😀 I remember you as JockinTas and Toots. I remember your love of Tas, often wondered if it would have suited us better.

I have never had a moments regret in moving back to Scotland. I don’t regret moving to Australia though, just part of life’s journey and love where we live even more as a result. 

My son was only 5 when we moved there and he was determined to hate it! I have no doubt he would have moved back at 18! As it is now he has a balanced view, he is very much Scottish first and is going to University here, he says he wouldn’t live in Australia but it’s still good he has the option. We are encouraging him to travel and most of the courses he has applied for have the option of an international year and his first choice Uni offers Australia. 

It took some therapy for him to finally start talking to us about how he was in Australia. It seems he was afraid to like it in case we didn’t stay, we did go on 457 visas but naively never considered we wouldn’t stay but who knows what we said that might have made him uncertain. 

We didn’t move back because of our son but if he’d been a true blue Aussie - which moving there at 5 and staying 5 years I would have expected then I wouldn’t have considered disrupting him. His distress at leaving Scotland after our last holiday here in 2012 certainly played into the decision.

I thought we’d have been back to visit and I keep in touch with friends but have never had the urge. If our son does end up spending time there then that will be the time I guess!

So glad you’re still happy, definitely a better place to be during the pandemic and must feel safer there now than it does in Europe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dharmaqueen said:

It’s nice to be remembered 😀 I remember you as JockinTas and Toots. I remember your love of Tas, often wondered if it would have suited us better.

I have never had a moments regret in moving back to Scotland. I don’t regret moving to Australia though, just part of life’s journey and love where we live even more as a result. 

My son was only 5 when we moved there and he was determined to hate it! I have no doubt he would have moved back at 18! As it is now he has a balanced view, he is very much Scottish first and is going to University here, he says he wouldn’t live in Australia but it’s still good he has the option. We are encouraging him to travel and most of the courses he has applied for have the option of an international year and his first choice Uni offers Australia. 

It took some therapy for him to finally start talking to us about how he was in Australia. It seems he was afraid to like it in case we didn’t stay, we did go on 457 visas but naively never considered we wouldn’t stay but who knows what we said that might have made him uncertain. 

We didn’t move back because of our son but if he’d been a true blue Aussie - which moving there at 5 and staying 5 years I would have expected then I wouldn’t have considered disrupting him. His distress at leaving Scotland after our last holiday here in 2012 certainly played into the decision.

I thought we’d have been back to visit and I keep in touch with friends but have never had the urge. If our son does end up spending time there then that will be the time I guess!

So glad you’re still happy, definitely a better place to be during the pandemic and must feel safer there now than it does in Europe.

Nice to hear from you and good to know you are still happy and settled in Scotland.  I have always had and always will have a place in my heart for Scotland.  Best wee country in the world!

Yes we had a very easy time of it here in Tassie during the worst of Covid.  Lockdown lasted no time at all and even though the border was 'closed' we still went to see old friends in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.  Things are pretty much back to normal now.