Engineering Manager – ANZSCO 133211 - Skills Assessment

FizzyMan

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at acquiring a skills assessment for the Engineering Manager occupation. Has anyone had any experience of doing this either through IML or EA? I'm not sure if my profile would qualify and which assessment body would be the better option.

Background:

* Roughly 4.5 years of total Engineering relevant experience including the last 3.5 years in Australia on various 482 Visas (and currently on an Engineering Manager 482 visa)

* Employed in the Engineering Department in 3 different Engineering relevant roles of which the last 2.5 years have been in a Manager capacity (with direct reports) and reporting to the Head of Engineering (Executive Management) of the company

* I have a 3 year BEng (Hons) in Civil and Structural Engineering from the UK

* I have a dual degree global Masters in Management (GMIM) and International Management (CEMS)

Thanks in advance!

Have you read the EA guidelines on this, which say, inter alia:

“- Engineering Manager is a high level executive position involving the formulation of engineering strategies, policies and plans and the direction, administration and review of engineering operations for an organization.

- An Engineering Manager should typically have: Five years of experience as an engineering professional before they can demonstrate sufficient competencies at the Engineering Manager level; Two years of experience operating at the Engineering Manager level; Persons reporting to them who are at the managerial level. 
- Note: A Project Manager or Project Engineer is not considered an Engineering Manager; but rather is considered as working as an engineering professional.”

IML are even harder to convince.

In most ANZSCO occupations “manager” (starts with a 1) means the most senior person responsible for an area in a reasonably sized company. Most people with ‘manager’ on their business cards are not managers in this context.