Harrimad13

I haven’t visited this forum for some time as it has a reputation for being quite negative in peoples responses to questions, I don’t want to offend anyone but I could do without negativity right now. 

Me and my partner have found ourselves back in Australia as visitors with exemptions as we sadly lost his Dad in sudden and tragic circumstances. 
I’m not sure if we would like to live here permanently but we had considered it before and agents said we would have to do a 491 visa but my partner couldn’t get the English test scores and we gave up after a couple of goes and bought a second house in the Uk, but being back here obviously gets you thinking. 
My partners last resident return visa expired in 2004. He was granted a RRV in 2006 but we can’t work out if he ever activated it as he and the family have been back and forth so many times over the years. 

For the last six years his entire family have lived in Australia and they all have PR. 
With the recent loss it does get you thinking whether or not he would be successful in getting his RRV and where would this leave me? 

Can you attach a partner to a RRV? From what I can tell No? 

Just curious really.

The federal and state gov have been incredibly supportive and helpful in getting the exemption to travel I was really very surprised! 

It doesn't matter whether he activated the last RRv or not, because it's expired by now.  

Your partner should apply for another RRV.   Having his whole family here is a point in his favour as it could count as a "strong tie".  It would be better if they were citizens not just PR, I think.. Could they at least put in their applications?

It might be worth getting an agent to help put together the RRV application, to make sure he includes everything he possibly can.

He can't attach you to the RRV application, but once he gets his RRV and returns to Australia, then he would be able to apply for a partner visa for you. 

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It doesn't matter whether he activated the last RRv or not, because it's expired by now.  

Your partner should apply for another RRV.   Having his whole family here is a point in his favour as it could count as a "strong tie".  It would be better if they were citizens not just PR, I think.. Could they at least put in their applications?

It might be worth getting an agent to help put together the RRV application, to make sure he includes everything he possibly can.

He can't attach you to the RRV application, but once he gets his RRV and returns to Australia, then he would be able to apply for a partner visa for you. 

Good advice.