Perth to Northern (poss. Beaches) Sydney

Jersey2Sydney

We are a family of 5 (and a daft spaniel) who are considering a move from the northern suburbs of Perth to northern Sydney, from Manly up to Collaroy Plateau and in as far as Frenchs Forest. 

Our children are 10, 12 and 15 and the ideal time to move would be over the summer break at the end of this year. Has anyone made the move, arrived recently from elsewhere to that area or moved to elsewhere in Sydney with similar aged children?

We'll be looking for independent schools ( Pittwater House and Oxford Falls Grammar are 2 we have looked at) and recommendations for these too would also be appreciated. Next year the children will be in school years 6, 8 and 11.

Feedback on life in general with 3 kids in this area would be great. Thank you

I moved from the UK to Narrabeen over 4 years ago. One child in primary school. The northern beaches are a unique experience, I love it here and last year we finally purchased a house after a long search.  There is always stuff to do, events or new places to eat out and it’s only 1 hour into the CBD on the bus.  Oxford Falls has a good reputation.  As the previous comment indicates the property pricing can be ‘robust’ compared to other areas!

Thank you both for replying.

I should have said that we have the budget for the area. It's somewhere we have been considering since our PR was granted 8 long years ago! Following a stint in Singapore it's taken us this long to finally make the move properly. We've been watching these suburbs grow in $$$ all of this time....oh, if only we'd bought all those years ago 😝

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 16:58, Jersey2Sydney said:

We are a family of 5 (and a daft spaniel) who are considering a move from the northern suburbs of Perth to northern Sydney, from Manly up to Collaroy Plateau and in as far as Frenchs Forest. 

Hello

I have lived on the upper Northern Beaches for seven years now, in several different suburbs. 

I like Manly, Collaroy Plateau and Oxford Falls very much. I have been trying to find a rental in Oxford Falls for ages too. However, I actually much prefer anything from Narrabeen upwards better.  I love Palm Beach, Whale Beach, Avalon, Bilgola, Clareville, Newport, Bayview, Church Point, Mona Vale and Narrabeen.

I love it, as it always seems to have a real holiday feel to it, which is relaxing to me.

I cannot comment on schools in particular, but it is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. So much to do activity wise, but also near some gorgeous and completely deserted beaches, if you fancy a bit of bushwalking in the nearby national parks and walk down to them. You can also hire a boat to reach them. So although a busy area, it is still possible to get away from the madding crowd

I have lived in many places in my life, and I love the Northern Beaches area more than anywhere I have ever lived before. I love the beach lifestyle, and I have at least 15 beaches and swimming spots within a 15 minute drive. But even if you dislike the beach, there is still loads to do and great fun for kids.

It does have a reputation of being “The Insular Peninsula”, and I reckon that is pretty spot on in a jokey way. Although I had to stop wearing my favourite stripy blue and white shirt, lest someone thinks I am part of the Avalon Now tribe!!!

On the downside, lots of people like coming here for holidays and day trips, so the main Barrenjoey Road, can get extremely congested at the weekends. But that is one of the prices you pay for the pleasure of living here.

Your daft spaniel will fit right in, as people on the beaches seem to love their dogs very much indeed. Lots of doggy day care centres and pampering parlours for them.

Maybe you could enter it in the annual Scotland Island Dog Race  

The Bayview Dog Park (Rowland Reserve) is a very popular park and swimming beach for dogs. And if you go on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning in summer, you can buy the best fresh prawns and oysters from PRAWN POD (it is parked in the Bayview car park). Lots of families take their dogs and a bottle of wine to the park, pick up the prawns, and have a picnic.