Are you considered permanent resident once 820 is granted?

Questionsearch

I am trying to clear up the definitions between Australian resident and Australian permanent resident.

"A permanent residence visa allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely. The Department of Home Affairs issue and administer all Australian visas."

I have been granted the 820 which says period of stay as "indefinite" but the 820 is technically a temporary visa, so am I considered a permanent Australia resident or not?

Just trying to clear up the definition.

A temporary visa is not a permanent visa however you can be resident in Australia on a temporary visa - you'll just have to go home when your visa expires or seek a new visa which is permanent. Ah, just checked - yours is a temporary partner visa and the assumption is that with the passage of time and your relationship continues then you will move onto a permanent visa but when you are temporary you are subject to the whims of the visa and you are obliged to let them know if your relationship falls over.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

Just now, Quoll said:

A temporary visa is not a permanent visa however you can be resident in Australia on a temporary visa - you'll just have to go home when your visa expires or seek a new visa which is permanent

The complicated part with the 820 is that it is a temporary visa yet it has no expiry date, that is why I am confused.

1 minute ago, Questionsearch said:

The complicated part with the 820 is that it is a temporary visa yet it has no expiry date, that is why I am confused.

It's temporary until it becomes permanent - if your relationship goes belly up then you leave whereas if you have already got the permanent visa, you dont have to leave