Decided NOT to retire in UK

DanO

34 minutes ago, TBD said:

While Edinburgh and Glasgow are different, there isn't even a single "Edinburgh accent" or a single "Glasgow accent". Scottish cities have very distinct accents within them - a Morningside accent ('wealthy Edinburgh') is profoundly different to the accent (and vocabulary) of somewhere like Pilton or Craigmillar ('working class' areas of Edinburgh). It's the same in Glasgow between Bearsden or Milngavie on the one hand, and Maryhill or Govan, on the other; even in a smaller city like Dundee, between 'the Ferry' and the Hilltown.  However, it isn't just one "wealthy" Scots accent and one "working class" Scots accent - a Milngavie accent is different to a Morningside accent (both affluent, Glasgow and Edinburgh respectively).

A wee bit of an idea of the different Scottish accents.  

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

What a wonderful, accurate tour of Scots accents - thank you!

A friend took her elderly mother for a special dinner to Gleneagles. The mother had grown up in the Highlands and had that lovely soft accent.  On being asked (by a rather hammily posh waiter) if she would like capers, as a dressing on her smoked salmon starter, she replied "no thank you, I have my salmon" - to her the acute "a" in capers sounded like the "i" in "kippers". 

• Like 1