National Insurance Voluntary Contributions

NatDaw

Hello All, 

Hoping someone can give me a clear answer on this. Born and lived in UK until I was 10, moved to Australia and now 25 years later, looking to move back to UK in a few years time. 

ive written to HMRC about eligibility to pay towards National Insurance while I’m still in Australia so I can try and qualify for as much UK pension as possible as we won’t be entitled to collect Aussie pension in UK. Was told yes i can pay contributions while in Oz and given the band rate and to write to them again to set up payment and fill out a form, which I did, but problem is I don’t have an NI#. Got a letter back saying I can’t contribute without a NI#. I never worked in UK as I was only 10 when I left, so didn’t have a NI# when I left obviously. Seems impossible to get a NI# unless you are living in UK, is that correct? Why didn’t HMRC tell me that in the first letter as I gave them my full history for them to advise? Or am I missing something? 

2 hours ago, NatDaw said:

Seems impossible to get a NI# unless you are living in UK, is that correct? 

That's correct.  To get a NI number, you have to be legally resident in the UK AND have a job or the offer of a job.  You are right, someone at HMRC stuffed up, obviously they didn't bother to read your letter properly.  Getting a NI number has everything to do with residency and nothing to do with citizenship.

In your shoes, if you've made up your mind to go, I would move sooner rather than later.   It will work out better not just for your state pension, but also for private pension, buying a home etc.  

Edited by Marisawright

9 hours ago, NatDaw said:

Hello All, 

Hoping someone can give me a clear answer on this. Born and lived in UK until I was 10, moved to Australia and now 25 years later, looking to move back to UK in a few years time. 

ive written to HMRC about eligibility to pay towards National Insurance while I’m still in Australia so I can try and qualify for as much UK pension as possible as we won’t be entitled to collect Aussie pension in UK. Was told yes i can pay contributions while in Oz and given the band rate and to write to them again to set up payment and fill out a form, which I did, but problem is I don’t have an NI#. Got a letter back saying I can’t contribute without a NI#. I never worked in UK as I was only 10 when I left, so didn’t have a NI# when I left obviously. Seems impossible to get a NI# unless you are living in UK, is that correct? Why didn’t HMRC tell me that in the first letter as I gave them my full history for them to advise? Or am I missing something? 

They were wrong.  You’re not entitled to a NI number and will only be able to get one once you’re here.