Questions regarding applying for 801

I just learned that my 820 was granted (For future readers and 820 applicants we knew each other online for many years, but have not lived or been officially together for more than 2 months when we applied, we got married instead before application and we also didnt have that many social activities are we were both more computer/video game people, he has disabilities so i mostly support my partner at home, just mentioning this since it seems many Agents seem to be against applying if you havent lived together for a long time or something which is impossible if you dont live in the same country), 20 months after the initial application and would like to ask a few questions.

1) Considering you went through the main hurdle which was getting the 820 and the case officers were satisfied, I assume getting the 801 is easier assuming your relationship status and lifestyle remains the same? Like there is no extra scrutiny or something?

2) It says you can apply exactly 2 years after the 820 application, does that mean you need to apply the moment the 2 years after application pass or can you apply let's say 5 months after that? Considering it says it can take up to 19 months right now, what if the two years pass and your 801 application is still in process? Do you go back to a BvA or something?

3) Would I need to redo all the medical and police checks again? When I applied firstly for the 820 I had to get US/Greek police checks and a medical check, when I received the S56 request I was asked for another medical because more than a year had passed and an Australian police check but nothing about a US/Greek police check, I am assuming that is because I never left Australia since I applied. Will I need to get those police checks(US/Greek) again on the initial 801 application?

4) I know this is obviously something nobody can answer specifically but on average, how much would a 801 visa agent cost? I assume it has to be cheaper than 820?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Questionsearch said:

I just learned that my 820 was granted (For future readers and 820 applicants we knew each other online for many years, but have not lived or been officially together for more than 2 months when we applied, we got married instead before application and we also didnt have that many social activities are we were both more computer/video game people, he has disabilities so i mostly support my partner at home, just mentioning this since it seems many Agents seem to be against applying if you havent lived together for a long time or something which is impossible if you dont live in the same country), 20 months after the initial application and would like to ask a few questions.

1) Considering you went through the main hurdle which was getting the 820 and the case officers were satisfied, I assume getting the 801 is easier assuming your relationship status and lifestyle remains the same? Like there is no extra scrutiny or something?

2) It says you can apply exactly 2 years after the 820 application, does that mean you need to apply the moment the 2 years after application pass or can you apply let's say 5 months after that? Considering it says it can take up to 19 months right now, what if the two years pass and your 801 application is still in process? Do you go back to a BvA or something?

3) Would I need to redo all the medical and police checks again? When I applied firstly for the 820 I had to get US/Greek police checks and a medical check, when I received the S56 request I was asked for another medical because more than a year had passed and an Australian police check but nothing about a US/Greek police check, I am assuming that is because I never left Australia since I applied. Will I need to get those police checks(US/Greek) again on the initial 801 application?

4) I know this is obviously something nobody can answer specifically but on average, how much would a 801 visa agent cost? I assume it has to be cheaper than 820?

Thank you.

1. Generally that is the case

2. I wouldn’t leave it five months personally and no, your 820 is valid until your 801 is granted or the 801 application is withdrawn  

3. Unlikely but mileages can vary  

4. I usually charge around 50% of the 820 if I did the original application. 

3 hours ago, Questionsearch said:

The point of the two-step process is that some people manage to fake the application for the 820.   So the department will scrutinise your relationship from the time the 820 was granted until you apply for the 801, and will expect to see proof that you  have been a genuine couple throughout that whole time.

3 hours ago, Questionsearch said:

2) It says you can apply exactly 2 years after the 820 application, does that mean you need to apply the moment the 2 years after application pass or can you apply let's say 5 months after that?

I would not delay because it will just mean you have to supply evidence for an even longer period.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I would not delay because it will just mean you have to supply evidence for an even longer period.

That doesnt so bad mainly considering we received the S56 for the 820 around 3 months ago and we supplied all evidence of our relationship, including new statements as to why we dont have a huge social life etc but considering the 2 year period since application ends in 4 months then the period we would need to supply evidence for would just be 7 months which sounds pretty short.

My main concern was mostly financial since 820 agency fees costed quite a lot, almost the same as the department fee so I used the saving from my previous job that I had so I was thinking having a few extra months of savings by delaying the application could be helpful if I decide to hire an immigration agent for the 801.

Also another question

When you apply for an 801 I assume you dont have the same case officer but does the case officer have access to all the 820 previously uploaded evidence? So I can make references to previous statements without needing to upload them again correct?

10 hours ago, Questionsearch said:

When you apply for an 801 I assume you dont have the same case officer but does the case officer have access to all the 820 previously uploaded evidence? So I can make references to previous statements without needing to upload them again correct?

As I understand it, you need to treat the 801 as a new application that stands on its own, you will need to include a full 2 years' worth of evidence and not just refer back to the 820 documents.

Edited by Marisawright