taking the dog

The willy s

hi, can anyone give me any info on taking doggy s!

we have a ten month old cocker spaniel who will most def be coming with us when and if we go :cute:

i have looked on a few sites, but could nt find much about prices? also is it 30 days quarentine if they have pet passport?

any info much appreciated :spinny:

lorraine x

Hello Lorraine

We brought our Cocker Spaniel when she was 9 years old and the whole thing cost a couple of hundred pounds under 2000 pounds inc quarantine. I recommmend Golden Arrow Shippers based in Shropshire. Dont worry if its too far - we are from North Yorkshire - as they will pick up. Sorry i dont have the number and they havent got a web site so look in the phone book. We did this 2 years ago so prices may have gone up. I also think you have to quarantine in Sydney then bring her to Brisbane.

Please be aware of the doggy dangers in Qld (and Australia as a whole) ie paralysis ticks, Cane toads snakes.

I say this as your dog is only young and if you wanted to think about rehoming now would be the time. I sometimes think we should have left ours as the dog walking here is not tooo good and i worry in the summer of the dangers. Sorry to be negative but its just a thought and others have brought their dogs and they are fine its just mine likes rushing through long grass and the undergrowth to see whats there and i constantly live in fear and have to walk her on a lead which is not nice for her.

Once again this is just a thought and you will probably be too attached to rehome anyway!!

If you have trouble with finding tel number PM me and i will look through my paperwork

Georgie

Hi Lorraine

We are taking our 7 1/2 year old greyhound with us and are using Airpets (my brother used these 5 years ago for his dog). It's costing about £3,200 - he is a very big dog - (blood tests and quarantine are extra).

Our dog doesn't have a passport and will still be in quarantine for 30 days. He has to be microchipped, his blood tests are clear (about 28 days before he flies), he has a long lasting flee treatment - given by the vet - and he passes the health check 48 hours the flight.

Up to yet we have found Airpets very helpful - it's just the local vets that have made life difficult!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Kag and Co

thanks all for the reply s

georgie you have confirmed my worries, i had already thought about this. because of the breed its in there instincts to run thru the grass and undergrowth.

are u able to walk dogs on the beaches out there? xx

Hi,

We also used Airpets to fly our labrador out to Sydney and they were fantastic. My labby also loves to run through long grass bu we havent had a problem with any nasty encounters. Just make sure you keep your pup up to date on Frontline etc and wormer and he/she will be just fine. In Sydney there are lots of "doggy " beaches to take your dog and let them play and run off the lead and also numerous doggy parks too. Please think carefully before re homing your pup, some places in Australia still sell puppies in pet shops from puppy farms and if you were thinking of getting a pup here you would need to be very careful.

Guest 7gotooz
hi, can anyone give me any info on taking doggy s!

we have a ten month old cocker spaniel who will most def be coming with us when and if we go :cute:

i have looked on a few sites, but could nt find much about prices? also is it 30 days quarentine if they have pet passport?

any info much appreciated :spinny:

lorraine x

Hi Lorraine - we are taking our jack russell / dalmation cross we have been quote £1500 by golden arrow & theres is a further $800 charge when we collect her from quarrantine. We liked golden arrow beause they fly quantas/BA & have an agreement with them to fly them in hold 5 which is heated to the same temp as the cabin. The other holds are 1- 2 degrees & the dogs need to shiver the whole way to stay warm.

Our dog also likes to run through the long grass & role in suspect smelly patches !! we have been training her so her `Leave` & `Come` commands are very good & to walk off lead to heel - which we hope will make her walks more enjoyable in Perth.

Good luck

Rachel

Hi Lorraine

So you have made the decision to bring your beloved! I dont blame you I couldnt have left Molly especially at 9 years old we had her before the kiddies. I do think she misses walks in the woods and the fields etc though. She used to get so excited in the car but here she doesnt get excited just probably thinks "oh this old reserve again". Never mind at least she is with us so i suppose she should be happy. The hot weather is also a minus for her i will have to say. Yes i know other dogs cope and all that and i suppose i just feel guilty for bringing her here.

I like it here by the way its just i feel sorry for her.

Now you have made the decision though i will look on the bright side for you!!

Yes there are some doggy beaches and yes you can let your dog off the lead in some reserves.Some beaches allow dogs before and after certain times as well. You cannot take your dog into National Park land. You will only find a few holiday camp sites and houses that accept dogs. You need to register your dog with the council. I assumed you were heading for Brisbane?? You will need to check your dog for Paralysis ticks daily even with Frontline. As soon as you find a Cane Toad show your dog and train it straight away to not go near. You can buy a cooling jacket and bed for your dog when it gets too hot.

When we get to Brisbane i was thinking of starting a thread for people to show their interest in a dog sitting group. Because of the fact that you cant really take your dog many places so if you do want to go out for a day trip you can contact someone on the list closest to you and ask if you can drop the dog at their place for the day and you can return the favour so that your beloved pooch has some company. It would be no charge just favours for dog lovers. I asked a few dog sitters their charges and it was so expensive we didnt bother!!

Anyway i hope you find the process smooth and dont worry your shipper will arrange everything for you

Georgie (i am not being negative honest):nah:

Guest 7gotooz
Hi Lorraine

So you have made the decision to bring your beloved! I dont blame you I couldnt have left Molly especially at 9 years old we had her before the kiddies. I do think she misses walks in the woods and the fields etc though. She used to get so excited in the car but here she doesnt get excited just probably thinks "oh this old reserve again". Never mind at least she is with us so i suppose she should be happy. The hot weather is also a minus for her i will have to say. Yes i know other dogs cope and all that and i suppose i just feel guilty for bringing her here.

I like it here by the way its just i feel sorry for her.

Now you have made the decision though i will look on the bright side for you!!

Yes there are some doggy beaches and yes you can let your dog off the lead in some reserves.Some beaches allow dogs before and after certain times as well. You cannot take your dog into National Park land. You will only find a few holiday camp sites and houses that accept dogs. You need to register your dog with the council. I assumed you were heading for Brisbane?? You will need to check your dog for Paralysis ticks daily even with Frontline. As soon as you find a Cane Toad show your dog and train it straight away to not go near. You can buy a cooling jacket and bed for your dog when it gets too hot.

When we get to Brisbane i was thinking of starting a thread for people to show their interest in a dog sitting group. Because of the fact that you cant really take your dog many places so if you do want to go out for a day trip you can contact someone on the list closest to you and ask if you can drop the dog at their place for the day and you can return the favour so that your beloved pooch has some company. It would be no charge just favours for dog lovers. I asked a few dog sitters their charges and it was so expensive we didnt bother!!

Anyway i hope you find the process smooth and dont worry your shipper will arrange everything for you

Georgie (i am not being negative honest):nah:

HI we are bringing our dalmation/jack russell to Perth & was very interested in your post - but can I ask what is a cooling jacket & bed? our dog is a sun lover & doesnt like to cold & rain so much so we hope she will find the climate in Perth ok - she is currently laid out in the grass in front of me in the sun (its over 30 in my garden this afternoon in London!!! - lovely) but she has the sense to go and find shade & a drink when shes had enough.

Thanks

Rachel

Hello Lorraine

We brought our Cocker Spaniel when she was 9 years old and the whole thing cost a couple of hundred pounds under 2000 pounds inc quarantine. I recommmend Golden Arrow Shippers based in Shropshire. Dont worry if its too far - we are from North Yorkshire - as they will pick up. Sorry i dont have the number and they havent got a web site so look in the phone book. We did this 2 years ago so prices may have gone up. I also think you have to quarantine in Sydney then bring her to Brisbane.

Please be aware of the doggy dangers in Qld (and Australia as a whole) ie paralysis ticks, Cane toads snakes.

I say this as your dog is only young and if you wanted to think about rehoming now would be the time. I sometimes think we should have left ours as the dog walking here is not tooo good and i worry in the summer of the dangers. Sorry to be negative but its just a thought and others have brought their dogs and they are fine its just mine likes rushing through long grass and the undergrowth to see whats there and i constantly live in fear and have to walk her on a lead which is not nice for her.

Once again this is just a thought and you will probably be too attached to rehome anyway!!

If you have trouble with finding tel number PM me and i will look through my paperwork

Georgie

hi

we used petair based in dorset they are run by vets they do 2 services the gold service which is everything all the vet stuff they come out to you . My mutt is daft over here he has to do his stuff in the bushes so he might get a surprise in the spring

Malx

Yorkshire pom

I hop your doogy doesnt meet one of them flashers that have been hanging around our local walk!!! He keeps jumping out of the bushes with his trousers down - hope he didn't get bitten by anything poisonous!!!

I am sure most dogs are fine its just when i first got here i used to ask everyone i passed with a dog if they worried about snakes and a lot of them knew some poor dog that got bit!!

I have not seen one yet though.

Anyhow it'll be reet from one fellow Yorhire Pom to another!

Hi Lorraine - we are taking our jack russell / dalmation cross we have been quote £1500 by golden arrow & theres is a further $800 charge when we collect her from quarrantine. We liked golden arrow beause they fly quantas/BA & have an agreement with them to fly them in hold 5 which is heated to the same temp as the cabin. The other holds are 1- 2 degrees & the dogs need to shiver the whole way to stay warm.

Our dog also likes to run through the long grass & role in suspect smelly patches !! we have been training her so her `Leave` & `Come` commands are very good & to walk off lead to heel - which we hope will make her walks more enjoyable in Perth.

Good luck

Rachel

Better use the lead or beware of the ranger:policeman: hes caught me and the mutt

Malx

Yorkshire pom

I hop your doogy doesnt meet one of them flashers that have been hanging around our local walk!!! He keeps jumping out of the bushes with his trousers down - hope he didn't get bitten by anything poisonous!!!

I am sure most dogs are fine its just when i first got here i used to ask everyone i passed with a dog if they worried about snakes and a lot of them knew some poor dog that got bit!!

I have not seen one yet though.

Anyhow it'll be reet from one fellow Yorhire Pom to another!

r8 owd lad

If my mutt bumped into the flasher he`d be short of his meat and two veg. Ive never known the bugger eat as much cant fill him so a snack on his walk would come in handy

Malx

Guest brooksey

Were using petair at a cost of nearly £4,000 . But hes a large german Shepherd and we are using their gold service which includes the vet coming to your house for blood tests etc and all the paperwork.

They told us that as our dogs anual jabs are due now dont inject the Lepto until we get to Oz (6 weeks ) as it will affect his blood tests.

r8 owd lad

If my mutt bumped into the flasher he`d be short of his meat and two veg. Ive never known the bugger eat as much cant fill him so a snack on his walk would come in handy

Malx

I am a lass not a lad:realmad: lol How many lads call themselves Georgie ?? (that is unless they are gay i suppose!!

Ps the flasher wasnt there today so maybe a dog got him by the goolies and he has learnt his lesson!

Georgie

We used Pet Air & they are fantastic - £3600 for a Cocker & Springer Spaniel on their Gold Service. They arrange everything for you for that - we didn't want to risk doing something wrong & our 'babies' not getting in! They failed their first blood tests because they had slight levels of lepto in their system - from their innoculations nearly 12 months previously - but it was all handled by Pet Air with no worrying for us! Our two come out of quarantine on Saturday & we can't wait. We went to visit them a couple of times but there's not much room to do anything fun with them so we're holding on till they come out now. We found a rental without too much trouble - we rented in the UK too & I'd say there's more choice over here - it took us a couple of weeks. If you can get a 'reference' for your dogs good behaviour too it may help - the forms you have to complete for a rental are pretty long winded anyway though - get personal references from people & landlords etc before you leave & you'll be okay!

Rach & Bernie (& Charlie & Henry)

Were using petair at a cost of nearly £4,000 . But hes a large german Shepherd and we are using their gold service which includes the vet coming to your house for blood tests etc and all the paperwork.

They told us that as our dogs anual jabs are due now dont inject the Lepto until we get to Oz (6 weeks ) as it will affect his blood tests.

hi mate

we used petair dont forget about the300 quid to take your dog down to them thats extra

Malx

aka Billy 5m

nice ere ijnit

Archived