Shipping a big green egg

darch

I realise bringing a bbq TO Australia might be the most extreme example of shipping coals to Newcastle of all time, but I've a much loved Big Green Egg bbq that I would be reluctant to leave behind when we move from Dublin- Australia later this year. I am a bit nervous about it making it through customs/agri inspection though. Has anyone managed to get anything similar in successfully? I suppose the answer is just to scrub it as clean as can get it and keep fingers crossed,  but any tips would be very welcome.

On 14/06/2021 at 00:59, darch said:

I realise bringing a bbq TO Australia might be the most extreme example of shipping coals to Newcastle of all time, but I've a much loved Big Green Egg bbq that I would be reluctant to leave behind when we move from Dublin- Australia later this year. I am a bit nervous about it making it through customs/agri inspection though. Has anyone managed to get anything similar in successfully? I suppose the answer is just to scrub it as clean as can get it and keep fingers crossed,  but any tips would be very welcome.

We brought our charcoal Webber nearly 9 years ago.  I think a BBQ is less likely to attract too much attention as they get really hot which would kill off anything likely to be an issue for biosecurity.  My OH did give it a clean but didn't go mad with it.

On 15/06/2021 at 00:09, BobHatton said:

As you say, scrub it as clean as you like but you will still pay a charge for 'defumigating' once it arrives in Oz....and it'll likely be quarantined until its done.

like the rest of us then!