Aged Parent 804 Visa

hobbsM

Hi, hope someone can help.  My son who has been in Australia for over 15yrs is not well and I and my husband would like to go and stay on an Aged visa 804 as I am at pensionable age and would.  My husband who from a previous marriage had 3 children who, unfortunately (not his decision) has not seen or heard from them for over 20yrs.  I know that Australia is very very strict with migration and family member rules but is there a likelihood that a visa under these circumstances would be granted.  My husband is 2yrs behind me with his pension, would he be able to apply from Australia to the UK for this (if we could get over there?).  I feel under the circumstances I am very torn as I do not want to leave my husband behind, also wanting to look after my son.  Any info would be great, thank you.

Unfortunately, despite not being in contact with his children, they will still count towards the balance of family test. This means that you will not be able to obtain any permanent Australian visa. An option would be the 870 visa which is a temporary visa which would allow the potential of up to a 10 year stay after which you will be required to return to the UK. This visa does not have the strict balance of family requirement attached to it.

Edited by purplealster

31 minutes ago, purplealster said:

Unfortunately, despite not being in contact with his children, they will still count towards the balance of family test. This means that you will not be able to obtain any permanent Australian visa. An option would be the 870 visa which is a temporary visa which would allow the potential of up to a 10 year stay after which you will be required to return to the UK. This visa does not have the strict balance of family requirement attached to it.

Yes I did look at that one too but we would not be allowed to work (not intending to but...) or have any medical help,  also after 10yrs and of age, what do we do then?  Thank you for your reply

5 hours ago, hobbsM said:

Yes I did look at that one too but we would not be allowed to work (not intending to but...) or have any medical help,  also after 10yrs and of age, what do we do then?  Thank you for your reply

You will have to return back to the UK, it is a temporary visa.  Also, you won’t be able to fly there until at least this time next year at the earliest so it may not help anyway given the situation. I’m sorry to hear about your son.  It may be if he desperately needs your help he will have to return to the UK.  Sadly so many who want to move to Australia permanently can’t, it’s just the way it is.  

11 hours ago, hobbsM said:

Are you living in the UK now? If so, you’ll be covered under the reciprocal agreement with the UK for basic medical care, but be aware that the health service in Australia isn’t all free like the NHS. Prescriptions can be very expensive and really mount up if you have medications you take all the time.

As Tulip says, there is no visa that would let you travel to Australia right now anyway. If you can get medical evidence that your son is unable  to look after himself then you might get an exemption on compassionate grounds, but it doesn’t sound as though that’s the case. 

Your son would easily get an exemption to leave Australia, though, all he has to do is provide proof that he’s relocating to the UK for the long term

It may not be possible to get into Australia on an exemption as parents are not considered immediate family. Unfortunately you wouldn’t qualify for a parent visa as you don’t pass the Balance of family test. The 804 is only for parents  aged 66.5 years at present and goes up July next year.It also can only be applied for onshore and it’s highly unlikely Australia would let you in. They are refusing a lot of exemptions even for funerals and end of life visits. You could try for a 12 months 600 visa but not until the borders open, same as on 870. . Your best bet would be for your son to return to UK. He would get most likely get an exemption as long as he says he’s leaving for more than 3 months. I believe  he would have to confirm this in a stat dec as there could be problems if he tried to return before the three months was up. He could return any time after that if he wished too. 

Also if you’re from UK then yes there is a reciprocal health-agreement  but it would only give you essential and necessary care. The website for 870 seems to imply you would need private health insurance in order to be fully covered. Medical costs in Australia are very expensive