PR and Maternity Pay

LT8088

Hoping someone can help me with this one.

Me and my partner moved to Australia in 2016 and are currently on a 457 visa and will be applying for PR next month . 

Does anyone know how long you have had to have PR before you are entitled to maternity pay as its' very misleading on the websites as it advises as long as you have been a resident for 3 years in Australia (which we have for tax purposes) but wondering if we will be entitled to anything?

Im due in September so was hoping our PR may have come in just in time but  if the 3 year rule stands from having PR then we wont qualify! 
If anyone could shed any light that would be great!

Hi,

Unfortunately government paid parental leave is counted from once you are granted PR, so you would need to have been in Australia as a permanent resident for 2+years to be eligible.

Myself and partner are here currently since 2016 also waiting to apply for PR next month but had both our children when on our 457 so have looked into it multiple times for various reason and spoken with centrelink regarding entitlement after PR. We wont be claiming for anything apart from childcare subsidy but have been made aware of waiting periods for all other family related claims.

Depending where you work and the companies policy they may offer you some sort of paid parental leave. I don't think they have too but i have a few friends that were in a similar position and had really supportive employers who offered some sort of help.

Edited by LaurenUK

Thankyou so much for replying! That’s as I thought which is such a shame as we’ve lived here nearly 5 years, pay our taxes etc so seems unfair we have to wait another 2 years to be eligible but never mind!

Do you know if pregnancy / giving birth is covered by Medicare?! We have a repricol medical card as we are from the UK 

• Like 1

Yes its frustrating but nothing we can do about it sadly. Daycare is very expensive in Sydney! i would be give or take $300per day to send both my kids 

Yes both of my pregnancy and births all covered by medicare. We went public with Royal North Shore, great hospital and amazing care. We must be on same medicare - we are both from UK and fully reciprocal medicare. 

Do make it clear to your GP and hospital that you are Medicare patient. And ask if there will be any gap payments, it can depend where they send you for scans etc. Some people seem to get everything free and some don’t (those with insurance often have huge bills......go figure). Always ask.

8 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Do make it clear to your GP and hospital that you are Medicare patient. And ask if there will be any gap payments, it can depend where they send you for scans etc. Some people seem to get everything free and some don’t (those with insurance often have huge bills......go figure). Always ask.

Yes this is a good point. All my midwife appointment were done at hospital and bulk bill but when it comes to scans and tests you may want, for example NIPT then you have to pay for these and are held at specific imaging centers  . There are small medicare rebates for some scans (dependent on where you go)  but for the NIPT/Harmony test they are out of pocket.