Building in Tasmania

Itraf

We were given quotation 90000 for ordering of modular home 40m2 made from corrugated iron and wood frame, board interior walls. The first quotation 40000 but with electric and water it went to this when I mentioned fhog. This is in Tasmania. It is very expensive so we are deciding to leave, very little work and dislike to foreigners and main land people they call them invasion. Mainland cheaper for build because not having to import material over Bass strait.

Be careful also when purchase land and also house. No vendor disclose.

Edited by Itraf

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you here.  I'm originally from the mainland (Sydney) and yes, some of the Tasmanians can be on the parochial side but on the whole most of them have been very welcoming.  Work (or the lack of work) has always been a problem for many people arriving here.  Unless you are employed in forestry, farming or tourism, work is thin on the ground.  We have friends who bought a large block of land in Sheffield and had a modular home built.  It's very nice.  I didn't ask how much the whole package was but prices have risen in Tasmania.  Other friends bought lovely houses with double glazing and central heating in very nice areas and they weren't cheap either.  There is a mix of "foreigners" where I live and they all seem to be a part of the community.  Where do you live?

All the best when you move to the mainland.  😀

We had a massive extension built in northern Tasmania and we hit lucky with a British builder who was very honest and a fabulous builder .  The price was favourable. We had the same guy build a new style farm house for us and again we were fortunate we had no dramas at all and were thrilled with the results and pricing structure! .  Any other issues we incurred whilst my husband who fifos was away appeared to cost an arm and a leg therefore I always ensured that (a) I didnt discuss my husband's Fifo position on the mainland  as the price was hiked... and (b) that they were made aware he was a Tasmanian from Sheffield!.. The various councils differed greatly and could be very frustrating with their various rules and regulations as many  Shires can be, but being pleasant and transparent always helped to get a peaceful resolution! Building from scratch and having to in many cases rurally provide cement water tanks for the fire brigade , plumbing regulations. fire regulations  etc. can be most stressful.  Double glazing or the 6 * energy efficiency ratings became mandatory in many Shires and this was a minefield in itself.  Four sets of close friends  in Melbourne who have recently built have come away scratching their heads also and they have resolved never to build again! Our Builder was known to the Shire and any problems were solved amicably ! Tasmanian house prices have increased considerably and we were fortunate in getting a fabulous price for our last house , sold to mainlanders who wanted to get away from heat/ politics or whatever and settle down !.  Yes there has been a "main land invasion" without a doubt! but in many instances they are getting value for money!.. My husband comes from a Tasmanian background but his family have married multiculturally in Sheffield and not one has reported a negative attitude which I find wonderful! Acceptance comes gradually  as it does with any small community and I find it very sad you are being driven away .  I am also a foreigner and many friends in Tasmania are of Columbian/ European/ Asian origin  and we have all found a huge "welcome sign" wherever we frequent.  I wish you well back on the mainland!

I would say the following if you wish to build or buy an existing house in tasmania:

Get a surveyor, Cromer surveyor is very helpful in negotiating the pitfalls and impartial I think they are mainland and assist many mainlanders

Due diligence as there is no vendor disclosure

Get a solicitor not a conveyancer. More expensive but will save you any grief down the line

It is common to find unregistered underground cables running across land that dial before you dig can't find so a surveyor will be the person to employ to discover these things

Research the council. There are many in Tasmania. Some better than others.

The old school tie is live and kicking. This runs through REA, council, solicitors, tradesmen, architects, surveyors so choose carefully.

Council us usually entwined with certain architects and builders so do your research 

Ensure you are given written up front costs

If you buy a block ensure all services are on it water electricity sewer stormwater 

Stormwater connection point on the property is crucial, as an onsite or kerb stormwater will be expensive

Do your due diligence especially in this fomo fear of missing out climate