887 Visa & Police Checks

JetBlast

Hello,

I will be applying for my 887 (On shore) via in the next few months. I am reviewing what documents I require and have a couple of queries in regards to the police check.

I am looking at this page and have a couple of questions that I hope someone could clarify please.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-887#HowTo

Character documents
Provide an Australian police certificate if you have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia in the last 10 years since you turned 16.

We only accept complete disclosure National Police Certificates issued by the Australian Federal Police. We do not accept standard disclosure certificates or national police certificates issued by Australian state or territory police.

For immigration purposes, Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Also provide:

an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16.

1. In relation to the bold text. Does the validity date of 12 months of issue apply to the date I submit the application or grant please? For other visas (such as 190, 489 etc) it's 12 months from issue to crossing the border and that wouldn't apply in this case. So I assume its 12 months from the application date?

2. It doesn't state how long overseas certificates are valid for. Can i use the same certificate that I used for my 489 visa please? Or is this 12 months as well and I will need a fresh one? I am assuming its the latter.

Thank you.

For the AFP it clearly says from the date of ISSUE.  So the date on the police check. This does mean that if processing takes a long time you may be required to renew it.

As for the overseas ones I believe they are also one year from issue BUT if you have never set foot back in the country after the one year period they will still be valid.  After all you can’t be charged if you are not there.

I would wait until asked for the overseas one if this is the case, they may not want one but can ask. Same for the Aus one check current processing times and act accordingly.

Citizenship next then!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

For the AFP it clearly says from the date of ISSUE.  So the date on the police check. This does mean that if processing takes a long time you may be required to renew it.

This is my point. It does say it is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. However is this 12 month window from the date I apply.? The date the case officer reviews it or the date it is granted? If I submit a fresh check with my application and it takes them 13 months to even look at it I might be in trouble? I am trying to figure out when that 12 month clock starts and stops ticking. Sorry if I am not clear.

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I would wait until asked for the overseas one if this is the case, they may not want one but can ask.

I did think about this. However the UK check takes 12 working days. And then it needs to be posted from the UK (they do not offer email). At the moment it is taking around 3 weeks for air mail to arrive. That is a 5 - 6 week turn around. When they ask for documents I think they only give you 28 days to respond with documents.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by JetBlast

The police check is valid for 12 months from the date on it, the date of issue, regardless of when you apply or submit it. So yes you might have to re do. There is some discretion if processing takes a longer time. Same with Medical. 
As for the 28 days as long as you apply and send proof of that within the time limit they will wait for the results. After all processing time is out of your control and some countries an take months!

Personally I would wait until you feel grant is within 6 months, I have no idea what current processing time is. 

26 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

This is my point. It does say it is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. However is this 12 month window from the date I apply.? The date the case officer reviews it or the date it is granted? If I submit a fresh check with my application and it takes them 13 months to even look at it I might be in trouble? I am trying to figure out when that 12 month clock starts and stops ticking. Sorry if I am not clear.

If you are asking the date that it must be still be valid on, then that is the date that you must enter Australia by (if the visa is issued offshore) or the date the visa is issued (if issued onshore). We pre-loaded our police checks and medicals (as was usual in those days) but because visa grants then took much longer than expected (processing times went out from 3 months to 11 months) when the visa was issued we had only 6 weeks in which to make our first entry into Australia.

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

The police check is valid for 12 months from the date on it, the date of issue, regardless of when you apply or submit it. So yes you might have to re do. There is some discretion if processing takes a longer time. Same with Medical. 

Just to clarify, like Ken, you saying it must be less than 12 months when I receive the grant please? 
I won't need a medical for the 887.

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Personally I would wait until you feel grant is within 6 months, I have no idea what current processing time is. 

This is another issue. It went from 24 months to 4 months. Now back to 21 months. It's all over the place!

Thank you

Edited by JetBlast

15 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Just to clarify, like Ken, you saying it must be less than 12 months when I receive the grant please? 
I won't need a medical for the 887.

This is another issue. It went from 24 months to 4 months. Now back to 21 months. It's all over the place!

Thank you

Having looked up and seen that an 887 is issued onshore, then yes the time between the police check being issued and the visa being granted must be less than 12 months. Note however that when the CO comes to process your visa, if the police check has expired they will merely ask for a new one it doesn't cause the application to be rejected.

It looks like from the attached I won’t need a new police certificate from the UK. My expired certificate will do. 

I did return to the UK since my certificate expired but only for 2 weeks. 

Certainly helps with the turnaround time and saves a few bucks. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/skilled-migration-program/skilled-visa-newsletters/november-2019?fbclid=IwAR1gHIw3MC37RZr2WXmZrsh2b37AuMKTiKZdG9RbEQJ_UehE01V-QIiLg2I

3ED800BE-A103-4375-93F1-563B4920EBF9.jpeg

Edited by JetBlast