Suitable visa

Tomaso11

Hi guys im new here and I don't have too much idea about these visas so I'm looking for help. I have a reasonably broad question. My partner is interested in moving from the U.S to Aus for us to be together. We have been in a relationship for 2 years with visits back and forth. She has an 8 year daughter. She is a fully qualified beautician. Im just wondering what our possible visa options would be? Thanks for your time!

11 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

My partner is interested in moving from the U.S to Aus for us to be together. We have been in a relationship for 2 years with visits back and forth.

What visa do you hold?  If you are a permanent resident or a citizen and have lived in Australia for long enough, you might be able to apply for a partner visa of some kind.  The difficulty is that partner visas are available only to people who have been either married, or living as a couple, for at least 12 months.    Time spent just dating does not count.    You don't necessarily have to be living in the same place (provided there are compelling reasons why you can't), but you would need to provide other kinds of proof that you have a genuine shared life together, like shared finances.

Another option, if you are thinking of getting married, is a PMV (prospective marriage visa), where your partner would be allowed into Australia for the purposes of getting married, and then would be allowed to stay. You don't need the 12 month record in that case.

The fact that you're not living together makes it all more challenging, so you'd be well advised to get an agent to put the application together for you.  It's an extra cost, but how much does this matter to you?   Try Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.

48 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What visa do you hold?  If you are a permanent resident or a citizen and have lived in Australia for long enough, you might be able to apply for a partner visa of some kind.  The difficulty is that partner visas are available only to people who have been either married, or living as a couple, for at least 12 months.    Time spent just dating does not count.    You don't necessarily have to be living in the same place (provided there are compelling reasons why you can't), but you would need to provide other kinds of proof that you have a genuine shared life together, like shared finances.

Another option, if you are thinking of getting married, is a PMV (prospective marriage visa), where your partner would be allowed into Australia for the purposes of getting married, and then would be allowed to stay. You don't need the 12 month record in that case.

The fact that you're not living together makes it all more challenging, so you'd be well advised to get an agent to put the application together for you.  It's an extra cost, but how much does this matter to you?   Try Go Matilda or Suncoast Migration.

Ok thanks. Yeah I am an Aussie citizen, how much would one of these partner visas cost? And for the PMV, are there any regulations on how long she has to be in aus before we have to get married?

28 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Ok thanks. Yeah I am an Aussie citizen, how much would one of these partner visas cost? And for the PMV, are there any regulations on how long she has to be in aus before we have to get married?

Yes if it’s a PMV then there’s a deadline. You’ll find all the info on the Immigration website 

She would also have to have the permission of the child’s father to move the child to Australia and that’s not just a verbal he says it would be ok. You should definitely speak to an agent. You say you’ve been together for 2 years with regular visits back and forth. I assume no visits in the last year due to Covid. You may have trouble showing it’s more than long distance dating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

She would also have to have the permission of the child’s father to move the child to Australia and that’s not just a verbal he says it would be ok. You should definitely speak to an agent. You say you’ve been together for 2 years with regular visits back and forth. I assume no visits in the last year due to Covid. You may have trouble showing it’s more than long distance dating. 

Yes have just managed to spend 3 months in the u.s with an exemption to travel. How much is the cost for a partner visa usually? And also, would she be eligible for a working visa if she could find a sponsor?

5 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Yes have just managed to spend 3 months in the u.s with an exemption to travel. How much is the cost for a partner visa usually? And also, would she be eligible for a working visa if she could find a sponsor?

The current visa application charge for a partner visa is $7,715, plus costs for medicals, police checks etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

would she be eligible for a working visa if she could find a sponsor?

Currently, the only practical visa is the partner visa, because employer-sponsored and skilled visas are not being processed (except for priority occupations likes nurses).  That is not likely to change till 2022.   

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/prospective-marriage-300

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-offshore

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Currently, the only practical visa is the partner visa, because employer-sponsored and skilled visas are not being processed (except for priority occupations likes nurses).  That is not likely to change till 2022.   

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/prospective-marriage-300

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-offshore

Ok thanks for your help, ill have a look into these!