EOI vs ROI for Victoria?! Baffling.

Jibba

Hi all,

I'm a Senior Registered Mental Health Nurse, originally from Brighton, England and currently living in Melbourne. I had my 186 visa declined due to a technicality late last year with over $10,000 thrown down the drain but that's another story! I'm now in the process of applying for a 190 State visa and my migration lawyer thinks I have a good chance of getting nominated.

I've completed an EOI, and I was under the impression that I then wait for the State of Victoria to contact me (if they want to nominate me) and they do this by viewing my EOI in Skillselect. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the State then may choose to select me via the Skillselect page and if they do it triggers an invitation to apply for a visa?

However, I have just now registered an account on LiveinMelbourne and I am confused with the Registration of Interest (ROI). Is this something in addition to the EOI and if so how do I actually complete an ROI? The LiveinMelbourne page won't let me and seems about as helpful as the Immigration website i.e it takes you round and round in circles like one endlessly frustrating feedback loop. I cannot find the link to complete a Registration of Interest. Is this because the only way to apply for an ROI is during the tiny monthly windows of opportunity i.e is it only possible to even find the link to register an ROI during the next window 2/3 - 8/3? Or is it that an ROI can only be completed once my EOI has been selected by Victoria from Skillselect?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

James

Hello James,

Your ROI will only be considered if it is submitted during the "Submission Window". Also, in order to submit ROI, you will first have to create an account on liveinmelbourne website ( https://vicgov.force.com/liveinmelbourne/s/login/SelfRegister ). Once you have created an account, there will be an option to apply for ROI which you can do during the submission window as mentioned in their website ( https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/skilled-migration-visas/registration-of-interest-for-victorian-state-visa-nomination ). 

I hope this information is helpful.

18 hours ago, Jibba said:

Hi all,

I'm a Senior Registered Mental Health Nurse, originally from Brighton, England and currently living in Melbourne. I had my 186 visa declined due to a technicality late last year with over $10,000 thrown down the drain but that's another story! I'm now in the process of applying for a 190 State visa and my migration lawyer thinks I have a good chance of getting nominated.

... I have just now registered an account on LiveinMelbourne and I am confused with the Registration of Interest (ROI). Is this something in addition to the EOI and if so how do I actually complete an ROI?

If you already have a MARA registered migration agent representing you, then you're only going to confuse things if you go off and do stuff yourself.  If you feel something additional needs to be done, go back to your agent and ask/instruct him. 

23 hours ago, Jibba said:

Hi all,

I've completed an EOI, and I was under the impression that I then wait for the State of Victoria to contact me (if they want to nominate me) and they do this by viewing my EOI in Skillselect. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the State then may choose to select me via the Skillselect page and if they do it triggers an invitation to apply for a visa?

However, I have just now registered an account on LiveinMelbourne and I am confused with the Registration of Interest (ROI). Is this something in addition to the EOI and if so how do I actually complete an ROI? The LiveinMelbourne page won't let me and seems about as helpful as the Immigration website i.e it takes you round and round in circles like one endlessly frustrating feedback loop. I cannot find the link to complete a Registration of Interest. Is this because the only way to apply for an ROI is during the tiny monthly windows of opportunity i.e is it only possible to even find the link to register an ROI during the next window 2/3 - 8/3? Or is it that an ROI can only be completed once my EOI has been selected by Victoria from Skillselect?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

James

Hi James,

Victoria has changed their nomination process as they want to prioritise occupations that will help Victoria recover from pandemic (ie, medical professionals, allied-health occupations, etc. if your occupation code is Registered Nurse (Mental Health) - 254422, then there is a chance that you might get nominated. One thing though, you mentioned that your previous SC186 application has been declined, what's the reason why DIBP refused your SC186?  There are restrictions on which visas you can apply if your previous visa application has been refused, especially if you are onshore during the visa refusal.

Here is the current nomination process..

a. You need to register and submit your intent to get sponsored by Vic and you can do this by creating an account in livein Victoria site and submit your Registration of Interest. Victoria has listed a schedule by when submission of registration of interest is allowed and when Vic will do their selection process. You can only submit during those dates.

https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/migrate/skilled-migration-visas/registration-of-interest-for-victorian-state-visa-nomination

b. If your registration of interest has been selected, you will receive an invitation from Victoria to submit your application for Victoria State Nomination

c. If your application for Victoria State nomination has been approved, you will receive an invitation to Apply/lodge your 190 visa application to DIBP.

Key things to note:

a. Make or update an Expression of Interest on the Department of Home Affairs' SkillSelect system. You must have updated or made your Expression of Interest on or after 1 September 2020.

b. If your registration of interest has been selected, it does not guarantee that your Victoria State nomination application will be successful.

Hope this helps. If you are using a migration lawyer, he/she should be able to explain and guide you with the process.

All the best!

Ok, thanks folks. So I just need to wait for the next window which is early March in order to submit my ROI.

I have my EOI ready. I may have to add an IELTS to the mix to get my points bumped up.

As you asked Monster, my 186 was declined over a mere technicality which was a mistake on the part of my employer for nominating me too early. I believe this shouldn't exclude me from getting a 190. At least my lawyer didn't think it would. I'm not using a lawyer ongoing as the costs were too much on top of the lost 10,000. I'll ask for her help again closer to the time of (hopeful) visa nomination.

Edited by Jibba
  • Like 1