189 skilled work experience - graduate scheme?

ScotErin

Hi everyone, 
I am new here and have only recently started to do real research into the 189 visa which I am really hoping I will be eligible for in a few years.. 

Basically, I am currently employed as a “general management trainee” for the Scottish NHS under a graduate scheme. I work full time and am paid a full time salary however for the first two years I am still classed as a “trainee” essentially. 

I am hoping that by the end of my three year graduate scheme I could be considered under the minor group 134 Education, Health and Welfare Service Managers (also hoping it is still on the list by the time I am eligible to apply!) with three years experience working within a hospital.

My responsibilities do correlate with the above listed however I am cautious of the fact that my current job title still refers to me as a graduate trainee and that my responsibilities are not listed in my contract (this is because these vary depending on what hospital you are based in). 

Does anyone know more about this, struggling to find info online.. or has anyone had experience with a graduate job being classed as “skilled”. 

Many thanks in advance,

Erin

I think you’re unlikely to be successful in a ‘manager’ role at the current stage of your career. Most ANZSCO occupations which start with a 1 are ‘corporate level’ top jobs in an organization and require significantly more experience (at least 5 in this case). Just having manager in the job title is not enough. 

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

I think you’re unlikely to be successful in a ‘manager’ role at the current stage of your career. Most ANZSCO occupations which start with a 1 are ‘corporate level’ top jobs in an organization and require significantly more experience (at least 5 in this case). Just having manager in the job title is not enough. 

Thank you for your advice Paul! Yes, having looked at this particular skilled role you are right it is definitely out of my league at this time. I am unsure if I would fit into other skilled job categories without several years of very specific experience.. this is off topic but I wondered if you may have any comments on it if possible - is it common for brits to gain a more permanent visa (such as a nominated 186 with a job offer) while on a working holiday visa (417)?

I have been researching non stop and the options seem endless but at the same time very challenging to achieve, so just trying to assess my options for long term residency in Australia while hopefully being able to  re embark a career in my field at some point.. 

Thank you in advance for any replies 🙂 

30 minutes ago, ScotErin said:

I wondered if you may have any comments on it if possible - is it common for brits to gain a more permanent visa (such as a nominated 186 with a job offer) while on a working holiday visa (417)?

No, but some WHV'ers do manage to stay by getting a 482 visa (temporary employer-sponsored), and then they may be able to get a permanent visa after that. 

However:

• they are in the 28-30 age group, 
  • ...so they've already been in the workforce for a few years, and they arrive with qualifications AND most of the required experience already under their belt, and
  • ...they stay in one city and find contract work in their chosen occupation to get more experience, instead of traveling round Australia doing casual work and having fun (though they may do the farm work so they can stay for a second year).

The issue is that employers can't sponsor just anyone.  You still need to have an occupation that's on the skilled list, and you still need all the qualifications and experience specified. So a typical WHV'er in their early 20's has absolutely no chance of getting an employer-sponsored visa, because they don't have enough experience.

Really, the options for migrating to Australia are NOT endless, they're very limited.  Only people trained in an occupation on the skilled list, with the specific qualifications and experience stated, can get a permanent visa to live in Australia.  

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No, but some WHV'ers do manage to stay by getting a 482 visa (temporary employer-sponsored), and then they may be able to get a permanent visa after that. 

However:

• they are in the 28-30 age group, 
  • ...so they've already been in the workforce for a few years, and they arrive with qualifications AND most of the required experience already under their belt, and
  • ...they stay in one city and find contract work in their chosen occupation to get more experience, instead of traveling round Australia doing casual work and having fun (though they may do the farm work so they can stay for a second year).

The issue is that employers can't sponsor just anyone.  You still need to have an occupation that's on the skilled list, and you still need all the qualifications and experience specified. So a typical WHV'er in their early 20's has absolutely no chance of getting an employer-sponsored visa, because they don't have enough experience.

Really, the options for migrating to Australia are NOT endless, they're very limited.  Only people trained in an occupation on the skilled list, with the specific qualifications and experience stated, can get a permanent visa to live in Australia.  

Thank you for this information. I will be in my late twenties by the time I am ready to move with 8 years of professional experience (but only three in this specific role). Essentially I am just looking for tips on how to best present myself to stay for more than the three year WHV which I intend to do (subject to being granted and completing essential work of course). I hope that I can gain further experience in my current role while on the WHV so thank you. 

2 minutes ago, ScotErin said:

Thank you for this information. I will be in my late twenties by the time I am ready to move with 8 years of professional experience (but only three in this specific role). Essentially I am just looking for tips on how to best present myself to stay for more than the three year WHV which I intend to do (subject to being granted and completing essential work of course). I hope that I can gain further experience in my current role while on the WHV so thank you. 

That sounds good. However, the difficulty you'll face is that experience only counts if it's AFTER you're qualified and it has to be in the specified occupation.  

Bear in mind that on your WHV, you can't work for the same employer for more than six months, and you're likely to have breaks between contracts, plus time off to do the essential work, so you shouldn't bank on getting more than about two years' experience while in Australia.   The 482 is your only practical option to stay after the WHV.  

I'd say it would be worth booking a one-off consultation with a migration agent (like Paul) now, to understand exactly which occupations you could apply under, and how to tailor your plans to maximise your success.  It's a cost, but it will give you more certainty.  If you rely on your own research, it's very easy to get the wrong information which either gives you false hope, or sets you off on the wrong path. 

On 08/01/2021 at 01:01, ScotErin said:

I am new here and have only recently started to do real research into the 189 visa which I am really hoping I will be eligible for in a few years.. 

It is highly unlikely that the Regulations and requirements for the subclass 189 will look anything like they do now in a few years time.

The 189 visa may not even exist any more as it has been greatly reduced over the last couple of years.

The statistics for the last published round in October show only 30 people were invited to apply for a 189.

• Like 2