Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

I am submitting EOI for "Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189). I am a university professor and my wife is a medical practitioner. I think this is the right visa category for me. I have a confusion. Would appreciate if someone can resolve it. 

On the points table, it reads "your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass" to achieve 10 points of "Partner Skills". Does this mean my wife needs to submit her own EOI under the same category? If not, should I mention her to have a skilled occupation in my own EOI? If yes, her "skill assessment" should be mentioned somewhere. However, I do not find it anywhere in my EOI application. 

What I understand, should you wish to claim partner partner points, your partner would need to have a positive skills assessment of their own and be on the same visa category as yourself, ie the 189 as you have advised. So you will include it on your eoi if you are the main applicant. If you both have a postivie skills assessment with good individuals points, there is no harm doing two applications to double your chance. Medical is a good profession at the moment and is worth looking at. 

With most things visa related, prefessional advice from a reg mara would be a sensible approach unless others can assist you as well. 

All the best. 

4 hours ago, umairalipathan said:

On the points table, it reads "your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass" to achieve 10 points of "Partner Skills". Does this mean my wife needs to submit her own EOI under the same category? 

No, she does not require a separate EOI.

She will need to meet certain criteria for you to be awarded points under the partner category.

7 hours ago, umairalipathan said:

I am submitting EOI for "Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189). I am a university professor and my wife is a medical practitioner. I think this is the right visa category for me. I have a confusion. Would appreciate if someone can resolve it. 

On the points table, it reads "your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass" to achieve 10 points of "Partner Skills". Does this mean my wife needs to submit her own EOI under the same category? If not, should I mention her to have a skilled occupation in my own EOI? If yes, her "skill assessment" should be mentioned somewhere. However, I do not find it anywhere in my EOI application. 

Might stand more of a chance with your wife applying as primary if you have the same number of points. Medical practitioners appear to have been preferentially invited recently.

Edited by DrDougster
  • Like 2