IT Tech Careers UK vs Australia

Hey Folks. We’ve been eyeing a move from the UK to Melbourne for a number of reasons; spending time with my Australian wife’s family, more outdoorsy lifestyle/better weather, kids are young and adaptable so a good time to do it etc etc...

Obviously a myriad of questions are coming up too though, including some about potential career options:

1. What are your thoughts about the breadth of IT opportunities, career potential there versus here? I’m 35 and have been working as an agile IT Project, Product and now Program Manager for one of the oil and gas majors for a number of years, including 5 years in the States, however have decided that now is a good time to move on and start a new adventure elsewhere. I’d been targeting moving into the tech sector and know that a lot of the Tech Majors (Amazon, Microsoft, Google etc..) have significant presences in the UK. London is also a bit of a Tech Hub for Europe. Any thoughts about relative opportunities, potential to progress, career satisfaction, here versus there?

2. What are peoples experiences with IT salaries in the UK versus Australia? Or perhaps better put, their levels of disposable income after factoring in cost of living? There seems to be broad concensus that salaries are better in Australia versus here, but perhaps outgoings can be a little higher too. What’s your experience working in IT? Much the same, better, less good? Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance all!

Hello,

I am an IT Manager in Adelaide. We really struggle to get good quality IT people here. It took around 4 months to recruit a Systems Engineer. 

My pay is much better than the UK. I do have more outgoings but I am still better off. As IT people are hard to find you can demand the money and other benefits additional annual leave etc. 

Best of luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I work in sales engineering for a large cloud software vendor in London (who are known to pay well within the industry). I have accepted a new role in a different organisation in Melb.

I found salaries to be broadly the same between the UK and Aus within my specific sector. I think the overall cost of living is lower in Melbourne than London so I envisage myself as being better off when I finally move. 

Thanks @vongole83. Sounds you applied from the role from the UK - wasn’t sure how common it was for companies to accept folks that weren’t yet on Australian soil. Reassuring to hear that was possible for you

Did you interview virtually over Zoom, and also did you already have a visa/right to work there or were you seeking sponsorship as part of your application?

1 hour ago, Robin’s Emigrating said:

Thanks @vongole83. Sounds you applied from the role from the UK - wasn’t sure how common it was for companies to accept folks that weren’t yet on Australian soil. Reassuring to hear that was possible for you

Did you interview virtually over Zoom, and also did you already have a visa/right to work there or were you seeking sponsorship as part of your application?

Yeah everything over Zoom and I obtained my PR visa myself. I didn’t have rights to work when I applied for the role but they were willing to be flexible on letting me work from the UK and/ or look at a temporary assignment (employed from the UK) In Oz til the visa came through.