Medical Examinations

DrDougster

So is my experience with booking in Brisbane the same everywhere?

You have to book what date you can and then check at random times of the day and night to see if earlier appointments are opened up, sometimes having to click through, back and through again to make new ones appear seemingly at random? Who is in charge of this? Is it seen as a test of your commitment?

I have now managed to edge ours forwards to next Sunday. I think I'll settle for that.

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2020 at 16:50, DrDougster said:

So is my experience with booking in Brisbane the same everywhere?

You have to book what date you can and then check at random times of the day and night to see if earlier appointments are opened up, sometimes having to click through, back and through again to make new ones appear seemingly at random? Who is in charge of this? Is it seen as a test of your commitment?

I have now managed to edge ours forwards to next Sunday. I think I'll settle for that.

Are you talking about medical examinations as part of an application for Permanent Residence or similar? I don't have any knowledge of that I'm afraid.

Going to see a GP you may need to make an appointment or you may be able to just "walk in" and some practices, e.g. mine in Surfers Paradise offer both "Walk ins welcome!" I see the locum doctor usually so I just go in and wait.

Going to see a GP is a matter of choice unlike I think in the UK where you register at a particular practice? Well, I was registered at one and of course if I was in another part of the country I could get appointments with a GP, or maybe pay to see one.

Here in Australia you can see whoever you want. Sometimes people will see a regular doctor Monday to Friday and a seven day one on the weekends.

I thought you did all the medicals before you were allowed into Australia. I did Google it anyway:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/health/who-needs-health-examinations