Husband left Australia on Bridging Visa A

Hi, my husband is Papua New Guinean and recently left Australia to return home to be with his family during Covid. 
He has been in Australia on a Partner VISA and was granted this along with a Bridging visa A earlier this year. 
We never applied for a Bridging Visa B before he left to go home. We have a 21 month old son and we don’t know when my son will see his dad again. 

We were hoping we could fly him over from PNG for my son’s 2nd birthday and Christmas but am not sure if this would be permitted. A) due to Covid and not knowing who is allowed to enter and B) because he left the country without applying for a Bridging Visa B. 

Is there anybody in here who can shed some light on this for me please? 🙏

Thank you in advance. 
Nicole

So he was on a BVA having applied for an onshore partner visa? Or was he on a partner visa? If he had only applied for the partner visa but it hadn’t been granted he really needs to talk to an agent ASAP because it can’t be granted if he is not onshore and he can’t return as a tourist And wait for his visa because Aus is only accepting PR and citizens Or essential business trips (and Tom Hanks)