New to Oz... Anyone know how to get the tv working???

Guest Andrea Bridge

Guest Andrea Bridge

Hi there, Anyone know how to get our UK tv working? We have set it all up, and have a perfect picture, but the sound is just a whole load of screeching fuzz!

Any ideas??

Many thanks,

Andrea x

Hi there, Anyone know how to get our UK tv working? We have set it all up, and have a perfect picture, but the sound is just a whole load of screeching fuzz!

Any ideas??

Many thanks,

Andrea x

Andrea,

Chances are it will only work via a top box or foxtel

(which is what we did untill we brought an aussie tv)

Good luck & happy viewing

stuju

Guest pianoman
Andrea,

Chances are it will only work via a top box or foxtel

(which is what we did untill we brought an aussie tv)

Good luck & happy viewing

stuju

stuju is absolutely spot on - I believe it's to do with the frequency range being different between Oz & the UK.

I tossed out my VCR when I arrived, and thankfully didn't bring a TV.

Set top boxes can be purchased very cheap from Dick Smiths, JB Hifi, Retravision, Harvey Norman - approx $50 should suffice for a Standard Definition one.

I know when I set up the teles sometimes I get no sound and find one of the plugs is in the wrong place. The menu on the tele usually has settings if anything needs to be changed.

Alternatively if you have not got the book have a google.:smile:

Guest mandamoose

I play my UK TV through my UK VCR, all it means is that you change channels on the VCR remote. Bit of a pain to do it that way but it works.

Guest Robert

According to this, if your TV can be set to German settings, in the setup, it may work:

There are some differences, even on the PAL system, for example:

Australia uses System B : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Zweiton B/G

United Kingdom uses System I : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Nicam I

Note: Germany uses uses System B & G : Colour = PAL : Stereo = Zweiton B/G, so is very similar to Australia. If your TV can be changed to suit other European Countries then it may work perfectly well in Australia.

from www.britzinoz.com/info/tv.htm

Any ideas??

Many thanks,

Andrea x

Only just seen your post Andrea, I wondered how you were getting on...Hope the telly's working now and look forward to hearing how you're all settling in!!

Mrs Tyke xx

Archived