Offshore 491 Vs. Student Visa+Onshore 491

ozexpat7

Hello all,

I am an Australian Citizen, and trying to get my sister over here. She visited me in Sydney 5-6 times on visitor visas so far. Now she'd like to move here.

She completed BBA (HR major) from an oversea university. Few options I thought of:

1)) Apply for offshore 491 visa. She doesn't have any work experience, but as brother I'd like to sponsor her.

a) Wollongong is a regional area now. I can move there. Is there any requirement on how long I have to live there before sponsoring her? Or, can I just move there, apply her visa on next week, and move back (possibly) after she get her visa?

b) I see, NSW 491 visa is closed for this year. Is that for State sponsor invitation...or applicable for me as well?

c) She is married, and her husband also has BBA (HR major). I heard, she'd need to work in Wollongong for 3 years with at least 55k/pa. What's the requirement for her husband? Same or any combined threshold?

d) Can she or her husband study full time (if not, part time?) while on 491 visa?

2)) Second option - get her here on Student visa (post grad) (and her husband on dependant visa). Then later, 491 visa or any other visa?

a) In this case, can her husband study full time (while on dependant visa) I know, he'd be able to work full time

b) In this case, she'd like to do an IT course (easier for PR), but her husband would do a Business course. Would that be a problem for future?

3)) Least preferred option - go to Canada instead. Would like to hear your opinion on this as well smile.gif

Thanks in advance guys!

8 hours ago, paulhand said:

She still needs a positive skills assessment and plenty of points even (especially) if you are to sponsor her. I’d suggest a professional consultation so you can get all the issues you raise answered. 

I am aware of that requirement

13 hours ago, ozexpat7 said:
Hello all,

I am an Australian Citizen, and trying to get my sister over here. She visited me in Sydney 5-6 times on visitor visas so far. Now she'd like to move here.

She completed BBA (HR major) from an oversea university. Few options I thought of:

1)) Apply for offshore 491 visa. She doesn't have any work experience, but as brother I'd like to sponsor her.

a) Wollongong is a regional area now. I can move there. Is there any requirement on how long I have to live there before sponsoring her? Or, can I just move there, apply her visa on next week, and move back (possibly) after she get her visa?

b) I see, NSW 491 visa is closed for this year. Is that for State sponsor invitation...or applicable for me as well?

c) She is married, and her husband also has BBA (HR major). I heard, she'd need to work in Wollongong for 3 years with at least 55k/pa. What's the requirement for her husband? Same or any combined threshold?

d) Can she or her husband study full time (if not, part time?) while on 491 visa?

2)) Second option - get her here on Student visa (post grad) (and her husband on dependant visa). Then later, 491 visa or any other visa?

a) In this case, can her husband study full time (while on dependant visa) I know, he'd be able to work full time

b) In this case, she'd like to do an IT course (easier for PR), but her husband would do a Business course. Would that be a problem for future?

3)) Least preferred option - go to Canada instead. Would like to hear your opinion on this as well smile.gif

Thanks in advance guys!

I don't believe there's any minimum residency requirement for you as sponsor, you just need to prove that you're "ordinarily resident" there.  Both work and study are allowed under the 491.

Even under normal circumstances, very few family-sponsored visas are awarded every year, so there's a high risk that she wouldn't be invited - and then she's wasted a year studying in Australia to no avail, when she could have been gaining experience in her existing profession.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ozexpat7 said:

I am aware of that requirement

Neither of which she is going to achieve if she has no work experience. A degree in a small number of ‘professional’ subjects (eg teaching) can get you over the skills assessment line ... but no skilled experience points.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Neither of which she is going to achieve if she has no work experience. A degree in a small number of ‘professional’ subjects (eg teaching) can get you over the skills assessment line ... but no skilled experience points.  

Family sponsored also requires an occupation to be on the MLTSS, not the longer STSOL/ROL lists available for state sponsored 491s. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 13:14, paulhand said:

Family sponsored also requires an occupation to be on the MLTSS, not the longer STSOL/ROL lists available for state sponsored 491s. 

Thank you paulhand

Generally speaking, MLTSS is more reliable (less chance to change) than STSOL/ROL....isn't it?