Does anyone know any electricians?

Jody

Hello, looking for some help/advice if possible.

My husband is an electrician, we came out to Adelaide from England six months ago and he has been doing his context gap training through Tafe (Tonsley campus) to convert his UK qualification over to the full A Class Australian one. 

He worked for about four months on a casual basis for an electrical company but is now out of work. He has tried numerous avenues to find an electrical company to get a job.

Has tried;

Phoning 

Emailing

Replying to adverts online (even though most adverts are only asking for A class electricians)

Going into wholesalers and asking.

Going into company offices to ask.

Asked the Tafe tutors for advice.

Asked people on his course and the small number of people we know if they have any contacts.

Asked Immigration SA for advice.

Finding it pretty much impossible to find a company who will take someone on who isn’t officially fully qualified here yet, not too sure if many companies actually take on people doing the gap training as they just see it as hassle. 

He only has about five months left till he would have completed it, but his e-profiling is on hold now until he is back doing electrical work. 

It’s a catch twenty two situation as he can’t qualify and get a higher wage until the course is completed, but he can’t find a company to work for to actualy be able to complete the course.

He is 33, has over ten years experience in the UK, predominantly commercial, maintenance and testing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

20 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The reality is, Australia, like most of the world, is entering a recession and it is going to be a deep one. Jobs are going to be hard to find for everyone. Let alone someone that needs to finish “training” 

Very true.

We have to just keep trying. 

Hi Jody

I am an electrician in Adelaide and moved here nearly 4 years ago. It can be hard to find work as most people want a fully licensed electrician so you sometimes just have to get lucky like I did. I met someone on a tram who gave me a list of companies to try and got a job through one of them. 

Once he has his license it will make  it easier to find something. He is doing the right things though and tell him not to give up that way. Has he tried Red appointments or Randstad to see if they have any Electrical TA positions available? There are a few agencies out there and are only casual but they can also lead to full time employment or if not at least he can cover his 6 months work experience to apply for the full license. 

17 hours ago, Curly said:

Hi Jody

I am an electrician in Adelaide and moved here nearly 4 years ago. It can be hard to find work as most people want a fully licensed electrician so you sometimes just have to get lucky like I did. I met someone on a tram who gave me a list of companies to try and got a job through one of them. 

Once he has his license it will make  it easier to find something. He is doing the right things though and tell him not to give up that way. Has he tried Red appointments or Randstad to see if they have any Electrical TA positions available? There are a few agencies out there and are only casual but they can also lead to full time employment or if not at least he can cover his 6 months work experience to apply for the full license. 

Great, thanks for that. He tried Hays but didn’t really get anywhere. Will try and contact the couple you mentioned. 

Sometimes it does make you think of just getting another job to make the money, but the worry is would he then want to go back to the learning and e-profiling later down the line after being here a while and being older, it’s unlikely. So will just persevere for now to get this qualification somehow! 

Hopefully a bit of luck comes along as well as being in the right place at the right time! 

Just keep an eye on SEEK and also sign up for the agencies and something will come up. If he did look for something else he would definitely be best still trying to gain his license at some point as it’s good to have 

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this? 

I feel your pain. It was one of the reasons I left Adelaide. I done the whole Gap Training with Peer Veet. Over 7 years ago, the jumping through hoops. I was lucky to have completed the Gap Training experience while working at the new Royal Adelaide Hospital. Although prior to that very lucky opportunity. I worked for some South African chancer who used to hire guys doing their Gap training while exploiting them. 

Try a company called RJE Global.

Edited by DevilsAdvocate
Misspelling