Dependent Child Visa over 18

Hi,

Just a summary of my current situation. I’m currently 22 years old and I’m from UK. My mother is an Aus citizen and so I am looking to apply for the dependent child visa. I’m still a full time student however, I’m in my final year, I graduate next September 2021. I know that it could take a year until the visa is processed and that you have to still be a student once the visa it is approved. So I’m wondering if this would be the best visa to apply for? I also know that you have to be dependent on that parent. What does being ‘dependent’ mean and how much would they have to support you? It’s an expensive visa and so I don’t want to spend the money to be rejected later on. 

i am studying computer science and so I’m wondering if it would be better to get a working holiday visa and attempt to get a full time job out there as computer science is an in demand job (from research). 

I'd have a chat to one of the migration agents who regularly post on the forum (they have a good reputation) and they will be able to advise you about the best strategy.  Was your mum an Aus Citizen when you were born?  You may be able to look at citizenship by decent.  I think the dependency age is 23 but again an agent would be able to tell you if it were possible to gain this afterwards.  The WHV is only a temporary visa and wouldn't guarantee a permanent visa.

I agree with ali.  I know an agent sounds expensive, but how important is this to you?  If you're not too fussed about whether you get to Australia or not, then by all means do it all yourself.  But you are in a very dicey position.  Firstly, it could take two or three years to get a dependency visa and you are getting dangerously close to the cutoff age.  Secondly, you are about to graduate and you need to be absolutely sure what counts as "dependency" so you don't do anything that would count as being "independent". You really need an expert to make sure you don't put a foot wrong.

The good agents will give you a free initial consultation so you don't need money upfront.  Look at Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.