POST COVID WORK IN THE UK

RoundInCircles

2 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

I do think people now in their 50’s and 60’s saw the best of workplaces. At American Express there was a fancy social club with subsidised drinks, plus an incredible cheap staff restaurant. Working for banks in the 1980’s and 90’s in IT, we had regular pay reviews, staff bonuses, luncheon vouchers, thriving staff & social including overseas subsidised trips. Six weeks holiday, final salary pensions. Down the pub Friday lunchtime and rarely returned. It wasn’t all fabulous - sexism thrived and we had to fight for parity of pay & opportunity but because skilled workers were in such high demand,  it was very easy to jump ship. You had to put up with ‘personalities’ in the workplace! It really was a world away from today’s short term contracts, ‘self employment’ and fragile working conditions. 

Sexism thrived but it wasn't all bad. A lot of christmas party or other functions where booze was generally involved led to some interesting get togethers and some fun. Some people married workmates, some just had a quick one night stand, enjoyed by both parties and not mentioned by either again. These days a bloke would have to think twice even if the lady was very attractive and was obviously interested. 

A work colleague these days would just be too risky. I'm not talking about one married or in a relationship either. It would be the same for singles.

Nope, you would be safer getting on tinder, and don't tell me that's a good thing.

On 05/09/2020 at 15:29, Paul1Perth said:

Sexism thrived but it wasn't all bad. A lot of christmas party or other functions where booze was generally involved led to some interesting get togethers and some fun. Some people married workmates, some just had a quick one night stand, enjoyed by both parties and not mentioned by either again. These days a bloke would have to think twice even if the lady was very attractive and was obviously interested. 

A work colleague these days would just be too risky. I'm not talking about one married or in a relationship either. It would be the same for singles.

Nope, you would be safer getting on tinder, and don't tell me that's a good thing.

The Christmas parties! We always knew we’d had a good one when we’d managed to get staff from across the bank (not just those from the IT department) permanently banned from ever visiting the venue again. We did have a lot of liaisons at work and it became pretty unprofessional at times. One of my colleagues (an excellent software developer) was so fed up at something once, he chucked his desk out the window. I can’t remember if he was disciplined but he certainly wasn’t sacked. I remember introduction of the smoking at work ban and the outrage that it caused. Different times indeed!

2 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

The Christmas parties! We always knew we’d had a good one when we’d managed to get staff from across the bank (not just those from the IT department) permanently banned from ever visiting the venue again. We did have a lot of liaisons at work and it became pretty unprofessional at times. One of my colleagues (an excellent software developer) was so fed up at something once, he chucked his desk out the window. I can’t remember if he was disciplined but he certainly wasn’t sacked. I remember introduction of the smoking at work ban and the outrage that it caused. Different times indeed!

I really disliked work Christmas parties   .....................  yes, I'm a party pooper  ...................... managed to avoid them for the last few years of my working life.  Don't think I missed much.  

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I really disliked work Christmas parties   .....................  yes, I'm a party pooper  ...................... managed to avoid them for the last few years of my working life.  Don't think I missed much.  

When I left school I worked for the NCB so our Christmas parties were good but the only ladies there were partners of working guys and everyone on their best behaviour.

Luckily a lot of my best friends worked at the biggest office blocks in Chesterfield which was one of the major post office departments in the UK. More girls than guys, each department had their own party and I used to manage to get invited to at least a couple. I had to pretend I worked there but security wasn't great.

Blokes were outnumbered by girls and they were pretty wild affairs. I think because I didn't work there and knew plenty of people once in I had good times😊. I was young and single at the time though. Strangely enough some of the  married ladies in their 20's were the worst for the come on. A lot of the time I'd know their husbands. Chesterfield was a pretty small place, you had to be careful.

33 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

When I left school I worked for the NCB so our Christmas parties were good but the only ladies there were partners of working guys and everyone on their best behaviour.

Luckily a lot of my best friends worked at the biggest office blocks in Chesterfield which was one of the major post office departments in the UK. More girls than guys, each department had their own party and I used to manage to get invited to at least a couple. I had to pretend I worked there but security wasn't great.

Blokes were outnumbered by girls and they were pretty wild affairs. I think because I didn't work there and knew plenty of people once in I had good times😊. I was young and single at the time though. Strangely enough some of the  married ladies in their 20's were the worst for the come on. A lot of the time I'd know their husbands. Chesterfield was a pretty small place, you had to be careful.

I didn't work for a large company until after I was married so had never been to one of those type of Christmas parties before.  Definitely not my cup of tea.  People getting pissed and losing whatever inhibitions they had was funny to watch though. 😂  As I got older I was just bored of the whole thing.

• Like 1