Work on the Gold Coast.

GoatUK

Hi all. After 14 years back in the UK me and my family have started looking into a move to Aus. We would be going down the regional visa route and at first we were looking at Perth but I have been doing a lot of research into work in Perth and it seems not very easy to get work at the moment in WA. Another option for us is the Gold Coast. I’m really just looking for peoples experience in finding work on the Gold Coast. I’m an electrician and my wife is a export administrator with a degree. I’m currently in the process of also contacting companies and agencies in the area to try and get an idea of job prospects but it would be nice to hear from people first hand. 
Thanks. 

Electrician looks like it is an option for the 491 visa in regional areas except for QLD and WA (unless you are already in Australia).

Import/Export is not on the list unless you get a DAMA placement - so it looks like the electrician will need to be the primary applicant.

Most electricians will need to do some retraining in Australia as not all certifications "carry-over" (wach Wanted Down Under - every time an electrician is on it they are always disappointed they will need to retrain in Australia).

Equally in a regional area your partner may need to think about a diffferent career than they have now as import/export is a big city / port activity and not a lot of that in the regional areas - you might find some in places like Newcastle, NSW (which is technically regional) but there will not be a lot of choice

(Note : the 489 visa which the 491 has replaced used to exclude the Gold coast as a regional area. For the 491 it is now classed as a regional area, but this may change so if you really want the Gold Coast you shouldn't hang around waiting to apply)

Edited by Ausvisitor

Hi. 
Perth and the GC are now included in the regional areas as of this year. I’m aware of the re training that I’d need to do I think it varies state to state and I’ve read mixed reports about the level of difficulty gaining the Australian licence. My wife has the relevant experience to go for many office/admin positions not solely exports. The concern for me is how difficult it would be to gain employment in Perth or the GC? I don’t want to spend all the money on the visa only to find it’s really hard to find work. Thanks