Vetassess Electrician Exam

Gary102

On 18/02/2020 at 15:43, Gary102 said:

Hi Guys,

I’ve got my vetassess exam soon in London.

Could anyone please help with classroom theory side. 
What to revise for? 

Thanks.

Just go back to ohms law, volt drop etc. Nothing worth stressing about. Get on top of motors and control wiring to latch in a motor i.e stop start e-stop etc. I was asked to draw this and then wire it. Not hard hard at all. Abit about distribution and transmission voltages. Star delta and you will be asked which is which and why and when they are used.  

11 hours ago, Gary102 said:

Thanks Liam13.

could you help out with the star/delta questions please. 

Just recognising star and delta connections etc. He may ask you how is this motor connected. I had questions on starters aswell. Just get your head around the basics of starters. DOL etc.. You will be ok. As joe mentioned get your head around the DOLas you will be wiring one with a start, stop and e stop. There is plenty of drawing on google for this.. I wouldnt worry but as joe said people do fail but put the time in and you will be ok. Any questions just yell 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gary, with all due respect; if your asking whether a star/delta configuration has a neutral connection, you need to do some serious revision.
It’s abit tricky & very lengthy to start teaching AC/DC motor theory & starter connections via this thread. Watch some YouTube video & buy a decent electrical principle book.

A decent electrical principle’s book (although expensive) is; 

Electrical trade principles

A practical Approach by Jeffery Hampton & Steven Hanssen.

this is actually what Future skill suggest you buy for all related studies in electrical theory. It’s helped me a lot to be honest. 

For the assessment day; they just want you to be able to explain that you understand what the discrepancy is between different AC/DC motors & starters, remember that VSD drives are another type of control for a motors, aside star/delta & DOL etc.

You might want to brush up on Power factor correction, how this is used & where.

Flourescent starters, batteries also.

Regarding the fault find exercise, don’t over complicate it, just stay relaxed & think as you normally would logically, it’s wasn’t hard to be fair.

Good luck.