Dog freaks when vet approach

El the Plasterer

Hi guys 

im bringing my dog along with me to oz and I am really worried as he has had a bad experience with a bad vet and now whenever a vet only approach even just to check a heat beat he totally freaks out trying to attack the vet. (No other signs of aggression atall it is only when vet approach)

so I’m really worried that once he arrives in quarantine and gets whatever examinations they do his going to freak. Normally I’m there able to restrain him (sort of  his a big Rottweiler) and if he bites a vet would they put him down. Could I have a note with him saying sedate before handling is that possible as I’m so worried this could go horribly wrong😬😩.

any advice would be massively appreciated 👍🏼

8 minutes ago, El the Plasterer said:

Hi guys 

im bringing my dog along with me to oz and I am really worried as he has had a bad experience with a bad vet and now whenever a vet only approach even just to check a heat beat he totally freaks out trying to attack the vet. (No other signs of aggression atall it is only when vet approach)

so I’m really worried that once he arrives in quarantine and gets whatever examinations they do his going to freak. Normally I’m there able to restrain him (sort of  his a big Rottweiler) and if he bites a vet would they put him down. Could I have a note with him saying sedate before handling is that possible as I’m so worried this could go horribly wrong😬😩.

Vets are used to dealing with all types of dogs.  Your dog will most likely be muzzled.  What did the "bad" vet do to your dog to make him so freaked out?  

His leg had been cut quite bad from some metal sticking out of rubbish.Took him to emergency vet . They sedated and asked me to wait ,after waiting only 10mins they called him back in and proceeded to staple his leg when you could clearly see he was still very un sedated ,after  number two it was game over all hell broke loose and I even got a nip by sticking my hand in the line of fire trying to protect the useless vet. Ever since whenever he goes to the vet for his 6month check ups and boosters etc.. or whatever it is as soon as that vet approaches his hole body becomes tense the second they come in firing line he goes nuts. 

1 hour ago, El the Plasterer said:

His leg had been cut quite bad from some metal sticking out of rubbish.Took him to emergency vet . They sedated and asked me to wait ,after waiting only 10mins they called him back in and proceeded to staple his leg when you could clearly see he was still very un sedated ,after  number two it was game over all hell broke loose and I even got a nip by sticking my hand in the line of fire trying to protect the useless vet. Ever since whenever he goes to the vet for his 6month check ups and boosters etc.. or whatever it is as soon as that vet approaches his hole body becomes tense the second they come in firing line he goes nuts. 

The vet should have realised your dog wasn't ready for the procedure.  Have you enquired yet about his rabies shots which he will need before coming to Australia?  Your  dog must be vaccinated against rabies AT LEAST 180 days prior to travel. 

4 hours ago, El the Plasterer said:

Hi guys 

One of our two is the same, only with most strangers (due to fear). We chose Golden Arrow for pet shipping. I was also petrified that some poor  kennel worker or airport vet would get a nasty shock, but Golden Arrow advised that in their experience the 'difficult' dogs were often much better when their owners were not present. I was dubious to say the least.

However, after a couple of hours at their kennels he was eating out of their hands. They had no trouble with him, not did the vet at Heathrow. He was perfectly well behaved when we picked him up at Mickleham, and there were no reports there had been any issues during his stay. I had been advised not to put a warning note on his cage, in case the quarantine station refused to take him due to 'health and safety'. 

Sadly, his angelic behaviour ended as soon as he arrived home, and now he won't even let our vet scan his microchip...

5 hours ago, LobsterMobster said:

One of our two is the same, only with most strangers (due to fear). We chose Golden Arrow for pet shipping. I was also petrified that some poor  kennel worker or airport vet would get a nasty shock, but Golden Arrow advised that in their experience the 'difficult' dogs were often much better when their owners were not present. I was dubious to say the least.

However, after a couple of hours at their kennels he was eating out of their hands. They had no trouble with him, not did the vet at Heathrow. He was perfectly well behaved when we picked him up at Mickleham, and there were no reports there had been any issues during his stay. I had been advised not to put a warning note on his cage, in case the quarantine station refused to take him due to 'health and safety'. 

Sadly, his angelic behaviour ended as soon as he arrived home, and now he won't even let our vet scan his microchip...

Thank you so much, you have actually made me feel a lot less worried now. Il give golden arrow a call and see if they are interested. 
All the best for the future to you and your fury babies 

8 hours ago, Toots said:

The vet should have realised your dog wasn't ready for the procedure.  Have you enquired yet about his rabies shots which he will need before coming to Australia?  Your  dog must be vaccinated against rabies AT LEAST 180 days prior to travel. 

Yes his had the rabies vaccine and is waiting for the 21 days to expire so he can get bloods done 

• Like 1