RRV expired visa help needed

Emerald5555

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading. I used to live in Australia 10 years ago, for 10 years with a permanent resident visa as my spouse is Australian. We had two children there who have Australian passports. We moved back to the UK (10 years ago) and my RRV expired. I have not returned at all during this time so do not fulfil the requirements but was hoping I could apply under ‘special circumstances’.  Does anyone know anything about this? Or know what ‘special circumstances’ would be? I mean, both my kids are Australian and they want to go back? They are 12 and 14 btw. Thank you so much xx 

It's not a case of 'special circumstances', it's a case of demonstrating that you have 'substantial ties' to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia, and also demonstrating that you have 'compelling reasons' for your very long absence. There are a few wrinkles based on when exactly you left and when your RRV expired, but these are the basic requirements. The family is a good start, so it is definitely worth looking into in more detail. If you were granted an RRV, it would have a one year duration in which you would need to return.

Sorry I just want to jump on this thread as I have a question myself that you may be able help with? 

We got PR back in 2013 and emigrated in the November of that year. Unfortunately my father got ill and we returned to the UK a year later to be with him. We are now wanting to return to Australia so need to know if it’s possible? I’ve briefly looked at the RRV terms and we don’t meet that as we haven’t lived in Australia for two of the past 5 years but I was wondering due to our reasons for returning, if that would be looked at? Also, we have two children now so would we apply for a RRV first and then the child visa’s? 

Any advice would be much appreciated 

Thanks

4 hours ago, chrishardy said:

We got PR back in 2013 and emigrated in the November of that year. Unfortunately my father got ill and we returned to the UK a year later to be with him. We are now wanting to return to Australia so need to know if it’s possible?...we haven’t lived in Australia for two of the past 5 years but I was wondering due to our reasons for returning, if that would be looked at? Also, we have two children now so would we apply for a RRV first and then the child visa’s? 

If you don't meet the criteria, then you must show "strong ties of benefit to Australia", and compelling reasons why you weren't able to return.

The problem for you is that if you don't have "strong ties",  then they don't care how compelling your reasons were.     "Strong ties" could be something like owning a home in Australia, having relatives living there, having a job offer.   

Hi apologizes for jumping in. I have a similar query. I and my wife received our PR visa in 2015 and visited Australia in 2016 and 2018. We are planning to relocate to Australia in Sept/Oct 2020 as our PR final date in dec 2020. 

1. Are we required to apply for RRV before we relocate to Australia in Sept/Ocr 2020?

2. Or are we required to get into Australia and then apply RRV for any future travel to be made out of Australia

Appreciate if anyone could guide om the RRV

Thanks

Edited by Expatriate123

12 minutes ago, Expatriate123 said:

Hi apologizes for jumping in. I have a similar query. I and my wife received our PR visa in 2015 and visited Australia in 2016 and 2018. We are planning to relocate to Australia in Sept/Oct 2020 as our PR final date in dec 2020. 

1. Are we required to apply for RRV before we relocate to Australia in Sept/Ocr 2020?

2. Or are we required to get into Australia and then apply RRV for any future travel to be made out of Australia

Appreciate if anyone could guide om the RRV

Thanks

2 covers it. 

• Like 1