Health & Safety Advisor

JRichards

Hello, 

I was just wondering if there are any h&s advisors who have moved to Australia and how they did it? 

I have a degree and 2 NEBOSH certificates as well as 5 years experience working for a construction company as a health and safety advisor.

Does anyone know what visa options are available? 

So far all I can come up with is going to Australia on a WHV and try and get some contract / temp work in h&s and see if I can eventually get sponsorship. Is this do-able? 

Grateful for any help or guidance. 

Thanks,

Jess

To migrate to Australia, your occupation must be on one of the Skilled Lists.  If your occupation is not on one of the lists, you cannot migrate to Australia, full stop.   Finding an employer to sponsor you makes absolutely no difference to that rule - employers can only sponsor someone if the occupation is on one of the lists.

If the occupation is on one of the lists, you must have the qualifications and experience specified on the list, otherwise no go.  

Finally, you must be able to score enough points to be worth applying.  You must have 65 points to be allowed to apply - but it's a competition, and each year they only invite the people with the highest points.   In recent years, there have been so many people applying with 80+ points, no one else stands a chance of getting accepted. 

Yes it is confusing, and the easiest way to sort it out is to have a consultation with a migration agent.  All reputable agents will offer an initial consultation free of charge.  There are several good ones on these forums.  

If you are young enough to get a WHV, I would always recommend that you take that as a first step.  It gives you a full year in Australia and contrary to perceptions, it is very possible to work in your normal occupation during a WHV.  The only limitation is that you can't work for the same employer for more than six months.    If your occupation is on the lists, then you could well get sponsored by an employer.

Just be aware that one of the lists is a "Short Term"  list.  If your occupation is only on that list, then an employer can sponsor you for 2 to 4 years, but you are barred from applying for a permanent visa, and you must go home at the end of it. 

I've often seen people who come on one of those short term contracts hoping the rules will change by the time they've completed their contract, but it never works out.  The rules do change but never in their favour!   Each year, more and more occupations are cut from the lists, and the points get higher and higher.

21 minutes ago, JRichards said:

@Marisawright Thank you for your response! I'm definitely going to contact a migration agent and see what my options are. 

The problem you are always going to find is that NEBOSH is an EU qualification. Australia has its own equivalent so having it is essentially irrelevant.

Get on the phone to a migration agent and get the lowdown on what is possible.

About this time last year I did similar (I was already 44) and I got my visa grant before my 45th birthday. Absolutely no way I could have done it without proper advice