Sponsorship

Lori

Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope I’ve posted in the correct area! Basically my parents and I are planning on moving to Australia. I’m planning on going basically as soon as I can, I’m currently in the process of getting a Skills Assessment for the 489visa and my parents have applied for the 143 parent visa. My question is, obviously we both have to be sponsored, my sister is a citizen in Australia and we were planning on her sponsoring us- can that be done? Can my sister sponsor me on my 489 visa and my mum and dad on their 143 visa(they’re also looking at the 870 visa in the mean time so same question applies to that) at the same time?

thanks in advance!!

lori. 

Firstly, the 489 visa no longer exists.   You will have to apply for the new 491 visa.   Your sister needs to live in the regional area to be able to sponsor you.

Your parents have to pass a "balance of family" test for the parents visas so check on that.  

It would be worth having a consultation with a migration agent to make sure you've understood everything properly. Most reputable agents will give you an initial consultation free of charge (if they're charging for the initial consultation, go somewhere else).  Just make sure they're MARA registered.

Edited by Marisawright

Just now, Marisawright said:

Firstly, the 489 visa no longer exists.   You will have to apply for the new 491 visa.   Your sister needs to live in the regional area to be able to sponsor you.

Your parents have to pass a "balance of family" test for the parents visas so check on that.  

Sorry, I meant 491! And my sister lives in the middle of nowhere so definitely regional. 

The balance of family thing was confusing us a bit; it seemed online that it meant you had to have half of your children permanently living in Australia? So we were assuming that since my visa would be a temp one, it wouldn’t matter if both of us lived in aus, as my sister is the only permanent child living over there🧐

17 hours ago, Lori said:

Also there was a specification in my parents visa about the balance of family thing and it said that basically it applied at the time of their application? At which time I was in Scotland and my only sibling was in Australia?..

Your parents need to have at least 50% of their children permanently resident in Oz at the time of application.  If there is only you and your sister they have that as she is already there. It doesn’t matter if more than 50% are there, that’s just the minimum required.